S500 identification help request

Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:49 am

Hi all, I just picked up a used S-500 Tribute Series guitar. I read through forum posts and knowledge bases and was hoping to get some help with identifying this guitar as I'm a bit confused on the color and configuration. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but hopefully someone can set me straight. One thing I noticed is that headstock decals, configurations, and colors seemed to change quite a bit even within the same model. In particular I read through the article What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?. I also looked at the examples of finishes in the knowledge base. Last, I looked through a bunch of google image search results trying to find matches and only found a couple out there. Most had different logos or color configurations.

From the pictures I saw in the finishes knowledgeable, this looks more like the Clear Red color than the Redburst or Cherryburst noted in the article as coming with the pearl pickguard.. Honestly the tint on this even looks different than the clear red examples. The serial number says this is a Korean-made S500 from 2005. The sticker in the electronics cavity says it is a premium. What are you all seeing? For what it's worth, the guitar sounds great and play great. I just want to make sure it's not a rebuilt piece-meal guitar or anything funky.

Thanks in advance!

Re: S500 identification help request

Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:34 pm

You have a Tribute Series S-500. This was one of the Premium Versions of this Tribute Series model Made in Korea.
The finish is Clear Red over Swamp Ash body. It was built in June 2005. Reference post:
Serial number significance.
The MFD S-500 pickups are identical to the USA S-500 model and were made at the Fullerton, CA G&L factory. Reference post:
List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

The 2003-2004 headstock decals looked different. Here is a page from the 2004 Tribute by G&L Catalog, showing the S-500 and Legacy models:
Image.

In 2005 they changed the headstock to what your's has. Here is a page from the 2006 Tribute Catalog, showing the S-500 model:

It definitely looks like a legit 2005 Tribute S-500 Made in Korea.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added two G&L Tribute catalog pages showing the different headstock decals

Re: S500 identification help request

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:23 pm

I really appreciate you taking the time with your reply, that's all great info to have!