Questions on Indonestion Legacy Tribute HSS push/pull pot

Thu May 18, 2023 3:42 pm

So, I had a G&L Legacy Tribute (black body/black headstock) come into my possession. It's an Indonesian and the s/n starts with 1404 (assuming this is April 2014 from post I read). The push-pull pot is basically just a "pull out" pot so I was going to order one from G&L and replace it.

The previous owner said the humbucker was split when the pickup selector is in the 4th position, didn't mention the push/pull (probably didn't want me to pull on it and have it just come right out) and said the two tones were treble and bass.

Thing is, the forward tone (middle pot) does nothing when rolled up or down while the bottom does roll off the bass. When inspecting it the middle pot (push-pull), it looks like there is a solder blob on the middle tab, but nothing connected to it and both the red and yellow are soldered to the same tab.

I tried to find a schematic/wiring diagram for this guitar and I can't seem to find it. But this brings me to my questions:

Do I order the 250 push/pull (hope so, the 500 isn't available)?

Was the original/correct wiring with the yellow on the first tab and the red on the center (or vice versa)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Questions on Indonestion Legacy Tribute HSS push/pull po

Fri May 19, 2023 6:54 am

Hello and welcome.

disclaimer - I'm not an expert on wiring - so take this as my best guess.

So the Vcc on the middle pot (the tab on the left that has the red and yellow wires soldered into it) should have one going to the middle tab on the 1M pot, and the other going to the pickup selector.

The red and white wires (the coil tap) are run through the switch. This is a DPDT switch so the two switches are the two sets of three pins (6 in all) on below the Pot. For sake of convenience lets say the left three pins represent from top to bottom A1-PoleA-A2 and the right three pins B1-PoleB-B2.

When you pull up up the pot, it completes the circuits betweeen A1 to and the Pole, and also between B1 and the Pole. It also opens the circuits betwen the Pole and A2 and the Pole and B2.

In this case, since the only switch of the four (A1-PoleA-A, PoleA-A2, B1-PoleB, and PoleB-B2) that is wired is B1-PoleB. PoleA and PoleB are wired together in the diagram and attached to the chassis of the pot which is ground (they could have been attached to the third tab of the pot (the one on the right), since that is also ground.

B1 is soldered to the red and white leads from the humbucker and PoleB is soldered to ground, so s
when the pot is pulled up, the coil should be tapped.

The middle pot is the treble cut (low pass filter). Since nothing is on the middle tab (the wiper arm) the turning the knob shouldn't do anything - the circuit stays open (meaning nothing happens when you turn it regardless of whether it is up or down.

My understanding is there should be a cap from the middle tab to ground (either the right most tab, or the chassis). 0.022 microFarad that's likely why the blob of solder is there.

OzarkTim wrote:The previous owner said the humbucker was split when the pickup selector is in the 4th position, didn't mention the push/pull (probably didn't want me to pull on it and have it just come right out) and said the two tones were treble and bass.

Without seeing the circuit photo - it's hard to say. consult this diagram:

Legacy HB wiring diagram (2001-2012)

Good luck!
Last edited by DanDoulogos on Wed May 24, 2023 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 19, 2023 12:11 pm

I have emailed Memo to see if I can get the Tribute Legacy HSS wiring diagram with the push/pull Treble pot.

Stayed tuned.

Fri May 19, 2023 2:38 pm

I received the Tribute Legacy HSS wiring diagram from Memo Romero (G&L Service Manager) and placed in our Gallery.
Here is the link: Album: Tribute Legacy HSS wiring diagram.

Hope this helps.

Fri May 19, 2023 4:56 pm

Craig wrote:I received the Tribute Legacy HSS wiring diagram from Memo Romero (G&L Service Manager) and placed in our Gallery.
Here is the link: Album: Tribute Legacy HSS wiring diagram.

Hope this helps.

Awesome! Thanks!

Fri May 19, 2023 5:01 pm

From the diagram, it looks like it's missing a .022 microfarad capacitor and it is a 500k push/pull pot which is out of stock on the website. The US version is available but I bet it's imperial vs. metric or 24 fine spline instead of coarse 18 (or some other difference).

Fri May 19, 2023 5:51 pm

I don't think you will have any issues with the USA pot. You could also just get a Bourns, Alpha, or CTS, etc. pot from wherever you order the capacitor.

Sat May 20, 2023 2:14 pm

The U.S. pot will have a slightly wider shaft. You would have to use a small file to widen the hole in the pickguard for the pot to pass through. No big deal. CTS and Bourns pots are both excellent. CTS has a stiffer turn than Bourns so I prefer it. You should be able to find a CTS pot with push-pull switch on the Stewmac website. They probably also have a metric sized pot if you just want a drop in replacement.

Wed May 24, 2023 6:35 pm

Replaced the bad one with a Bourns and put an orange drop in. Did have to open the pick guard hole a bit as mentioned and added some spacers in as it was a bit taller.

Works like a champ and sounds wonderful. Thanks for the assistance everyone!

Thu May 25, 2023 9:18 pm

Cool. About the spacers; I would order some extra nuts, flat washers, and star washers to have on hand the next time you buy any of that stuff and use a nut and star washer on the bottom rather than spacers. You may be fine but I don't think I've ever had to re-tighten a pot that had two nuts, rather than some stacked washers, and the lock washer supposedly digs into that aluminum shielding on the bottom of the pickguard. Definitely not a "must" but something to think about.

Fri May 26, 2023 5:00 am

bigjim711 wrote:Cool. About the spacers; I would order some extra nuts, flat washers, and star washers to have on hand the next time you buy any of that stuff and use a nut and star washer on the bottom rather than spacers. You may be fine but I don't think I've ever had to re-tighten a pot that had two nuts, rather than some stacked washers, and the lock washer supposedly digs into that aluminum shielding on the bottom of the pickguard. Definitely not a "must" but something to think about.

Thanks, definitely something to do. I was hoping it came with more than one washer/nut, but wasn't the luck. The nylon washers was a desperation thing as I wanted to hear it :D I think next time I swap out strings I'll probably redo it and also swap out the other cap as the best bargain was two at a time and if I don't do something with the spare, it'll get lost with all the other ghosts of projects past.

After comparing pots my first thought was "hmm... maybe I should just order new pots for the remainders, and a new switch, and some new wire, etc." but then had to reel myself in as my guitars are really just "stay at home" guitars nowadays.