NGD; 2019 Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy

Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:58 pm

The G&L online store hooked me by offering a 10% April discount on this B-Stock ASAT. Is this swamp ash? I don't know when they started using sassafras or what it looks like but I think this is swamp ash judging by the wide grain.

I have an ASAT special and a deluxe so this Tribute is my first ASAT Classic. I dig it but might experiment with the electronics a bit. I had already ordered a humbucker bridge before this was delivered today. At least that was my intention but I'm liking this bridge pickup more than I thought I might.

Re: NGD; 2019 Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy

Mon May 01, 2023 4:46 am

Hey Jim, good for you! :happy0065:

Those guys at the G&L store are enabler’s for sure. Tribby’s are great for experimenting with electronics and pickup swaps. You are correct, that is swamp ash. Before you know it, MFD bridge pickups can be one of your “best friends”. :thumbup:

Mon May 01, 2023 8:30 am

bigjim711 wrote:The G&L online store hooked me by offering a 10% April discount on this B-Stock ASAT. Is this swamp ash? I don't know when they started using sassafras or what it looks like but I think this is swamp ash judging by the wide grain.

I have an ASAT special and a deluxe so this Tribute is my first ASAT Classic. I dig it but might experiment with the electronics a bit. I had already ordered a humbucker bridge before this was delivered today. At least that was my intention but I'm liking this bridge pickup more than I thought I might.

Nice score!

As Sam said, it is a Swamp Ash body. However, the 2019 Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy was only offered in Sonic Blue over Basswood.
Don't know if it was specially ordered that way or a mistake made by the Cort factory.
Reference post: 1/23/2019-1/14/2020 Tribute Series Production Models

The body wood change to sassafras, poplar and nato was done in 2021, reference post: 6/1/2021-present Tribute Series Production Models.

The neck pickup is made at the Cort factory to G&L specifications of the G&L AS4255C humbucker with chrome cover.
Reference post: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

Mon May 01, 2023 4:27 pm

Thanks Craig. Not sure about the finishes either. There was a twin to this one also available that had, I believe, a 2020 serial number rather than 2019. Even then I don't see that finish listed for Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboys. It does have a "CE" sticker on the back of the headstock. Perhaps it was a limited run intended for Europe or something.

I really like the neck on this thing. It's a very light satin finish. Most of the Tributes I've owned or handled had a very glossy finish, whether tinted or not. This one looks like there is barely finish on it and I really like it that way.

The neck pickup seems like it could use a 500k pot but I'm not sure what that will do to the bridge pickup. Has anyone tried any alternative wiring configurations on one of these? Otherwise perhaps I'll get a brighter HB for the neck (if I don't convert this to HH).