I Blocked My Comanche Bridge

Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:11 pm

As a general statement, I love Strats and Strat style guitars. Due to the style of music I play, however, floating trems just don’t personally suit me. I decided to block the trem on my new Tribute Comanche.

I used a piece of 9/16” thick maple for the rear block. The front block setup is a set of brass Solo Trem blockers. The tuning stability is really, really good now. In conjunction with the new Ratio locking tuners and Tusq XL string tree I installed, this little guitar is shaping up very nicely.

The tone and sustain was already impressive (compared to a bog standard Strat), but it seems to be even more resonant and sustaining now.

BLOCKED COMANCHE BRIDGE

Re: I Blocked My Comanche Bridge

Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:54 pm

Well done BrotherCharles! :thumbup:

Always great to hear when ya get the time and feel yer after.

Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:49 pm

Thnx, Sam.
I ended up having to use another maple block. The first one was just a tad too thin, resulting in the bridge being somewhere between 1/16th and a 32nd too high off the body. I have it set pretty well now - close to perfect, actually. *Grin.

It took me a couple of days to get my faux ‘hard tail’ dialed in just so, but it was totally worth it (to me). I really wish that G&L would sell non-trem, hard tail Comanche models. I totally understand that the Dual Fulcrum trem system is a very desirable feature for a lot of players, but there are a few of us who dig all the G&L mojo minus a floating trem bridge. ;)
sam wrote:Well done BrotherCharles! :thumbup:

Always great to hear when ya get the time and feel yer after.

Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:59 am

I thought of suggesting an ASAT Z3 or Will Ray ASAT (since I’m an ASAT guy :evilgrin: ) but remembered… no PTB. Could be something the G&L folks keep in mind. Saddle Lock Comanche or PTB ASAT, ya never know what’s gonna come out of Fullerton!

Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:49 am

I believe you can order the saddle lock bridge in place of the DFV for any of G&L's tremelo equipped guitars.

Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:38 am

Tooslowhand wrote:I believe you can order the saddle lock bridge in place of the DFV for any of G&L's tremelo equipped guitars.

Yes, this is true for the Option Order models and the Custom Shop models.

Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:49 am

I've seen the occasional Comanche hardtail for sale in the wild, and have been sorely tempted. They do exist...