Advice on first G&L guitar

Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:11 pm

I could use some advice on pros and cons of a decision for a first G&L Guitar which will be my first electric beyond an entry level Squire Affinity.

I am an intermediate (or advanced beginner?) level player. (Have played acoustic on and off for about 40 years. Took lessons when I was a kid for 3 years. I can read music, know my way around the fretboard and can play rhythm for anything I can get chords, notation or tab to.)
I started taking lessons again as an adult about 6 months ago with a focus on Blues Styles. I play mostly clean or with a bit of OD. (It's the sound I like.)

I am trying to decide between a Tribute S-500 in Irish Ale or a Tribute Comanche Limited Edition (2021). My local dealer has both. I have played them and like both. I am leaning toward the Comanche on the theory that its reported versatility is likely to be able to grow as do. But I am a little concerned about the feedback that I see about the subtleties of dialing in the sound settings.

I read that a key attribute of the S-500 is the suitability of its PUPs of for sounds geared toward higher gain. Don't know if really the issue I should be focused on, but there you have it

One thing I learned with my experience on acoustic is that each guitar has something new to teach and that my playing has improved each time I have upgraded guitars after progressing as far as the current instrument will take me. (I am aware that I am nowhere near that limit with the Squier, but am really enamoured by the history of G&L and intend to make that move early.

Any advice from the forum toward things I might not have considered?

Re: Advice on first G&L guitar

Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:42 pm

BTW - I should add that one reason the Comanche appeals to me is that the power in my practice space results in a significant 60 cycle hum with my current guitar in positions 1,3 and 5. (Especially with the household air conditioner running.)

Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:48 pm

"no regrets, coyote" (welcome!)

i've not owned the s-500, but i've read comments from others who have owned both who say they are pretty close re: the tones you can get from the mfd p'ups.
the comanche can be more quiet re: the humbucking nature of the staggered z coils. both gtrs have the expander switch that allows bridge and neck p'ups to be played together, or all 3. The former is a really nice option.
i've become a big fan of the z coils since i got mine in late '15. you do have to get to know them a bit and fool around with combos and the ptb tone system, eq on the amp, etc, but it ain't quantum physics. after awhile you learn what you like and you come back to it.
imo you can play just about any style of music with either guitar, so don't be scared to try one. happy shopping!

Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:34 pm

You can't really go wrong with either guitar. My suggestion would be to look on Reverb and Ebay for a nice used U.S. model. The Tribute guitars are nice, but the U.S. models are much nicer and shouldn't be all that much more money if you purchase a used one. The Commanche will be quieter given your current home environment. FYI I had an old amplifier reconditioned and could not use it in my home with a single coil guitar as the noise was unbearable. It was fine in the studio. At one point we did some remodeling and I replaced all the CFL recessed lights and dimmers with LED units. Now the amp is dead quiet in my home as well.

Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:29 pm

My strategy would be, and has been, to get both. You can, in fact, get two Tributes for less than a US model. However, if I could only get one, it would be the Comanche because it was basically Leo's ultimate guitar of this style. As noted on the G&L website "The Comanche was the very last double-cutaway bolt-on guitar designed by Leo Fender, the culmination of everything he had learned during his amazing lifetime."

David

Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:58 pm

dhgleaves wrote:My strategy would be, and has been, to get both. You can, in fact, get two Tributes for less than a US model. However, if I could only get one, it would be the Comanche because it was basically Leo's ultimate guitar of this style. As noted on the G&L website "The Comanche was the very last double-cutaway bolt-on guitar designed by Leo Fender, the culmination of everything he had learned during his amazing lifetime."

David

8-) I like the way you think!!! :clap:
But for the sake of domestic peace and harmony I should only buy one guitar at this time. I can look into adding to the collection later. :whome:

The point you make about the Comanche being in Leo's mind the culmination of everything he had learned is exactly what made me look at the Comanche in the first place.

Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:55 pm

Bought the Comanche today. I love the feel and tone! It reminds me of chocolate: Dark and creamy. :D

Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:00 pm

Congrats! As you might guess, I'm a fan of the Comanche, and it was my first G&L. Play it in good health!

Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:40 pm

Coyote wrote:But for the sake of domestic peace and harmony I should only buy one guitar at this time. I can look into adding to the collection later. :whome:

I would never suggest trying to fool anyone but one nice thing about these guitars is that you can get several models with the same paint scheme. Someone that isn't looking hard enough might not even notice that two different guitars, that look similar, are two different guitars. ;)

Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:49 pm

bigjim711 wrote:
Coyote wrote:But for the sake of domestic peace and harmony I should only buy one guitar at this time. I can look into adding to the collection later. :whome:

I would never suggest trying to fool anyone but one nice thing about these guitars is that you can get several models with the same paint scheme. Someone that isn't looking hard enough might not even notice that two different guitars, that look similar, are two different guitars. ;)

HHmmmm. You might have an even more devious mind than me. (Actually pretty hard to do.) :clap:

But considering my new darling's unique dusky beauty I'm not sure I can pull that off. :shifty:
(I bought the Tribute Comanche Limited with the Charcoal Burst finish. And I am SO LOVING IT! No regrets!) :luv:
The tone reminds me of Milk Chocolate: Rich, Creamy and Smooth!

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:14 pm

love the charcoal burst, nice comanche!