G&L ASAT Special Tribute, unusually tall frets???

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:59 am

Today I wanted to add a Tribute ASAT special to my stable and I went to try a few in a shop. They all had very tall frets, I mean sticking out of the fret board a lot. I found it annoying, especially with slides, feels like your fingers are on a very bumpy thing. So I decided not to buy, although I liked the sound of the pickups a lot.

??? Anyway, is this the normal frets and way of fretting of G&L ASATs or did I run into a bad batch? Or is it me and should I get used to it? Not sure, because none of my guitars feel like this. ???

Thanx

Re: G&L ASAT Special Tribute, unusually tall frets???

Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:21 am

alwinvrm wrote:Today I wanted to add a Tribute ASAT special to my stable and I went to try a few in a shop. They all had very tall frets, I mean sticking out of the fret board a lot. I found it annoying, especially with slides, feels like your fingers are on a very bumpy thing. So I decided not to buy, although I liked the sound of the pickups a lot.

??? Anyway, is this the normal frets and way of fretting of G&L ASATs or did I run into a bad batch? Or is it me and should I get used to it? Not sure, because none of my guitars feel like this. ???

Thanx

The fret size on the Tribute ASAT Special is Medium Jumbo which are the size used on the US ASAT Special.
If you can you might do a back to back comparison with the US models and the Tribute models.

Have you play other recent G&L guitars before and what size frets are on your other guitars?

Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:48 am

The fret size on the Tribute ASAT Special is Medium Jumbo which are the size used on the US ASAT Special.
If you can you might do a back to back comparison with the US models and the Tribute models.

Have you play other recent G&L guitars before and what size frets are on your other guitars?

These were the only G&Ls I ever played. In the past months I bought a Harley Benton Tele and A Gretsch G5220, both according to the manufacturer with medium jumbos. My vintage guitars have obviously thinner frets. None feel like the frets of the ASAT specials , only 2 , that I tried, though.

The point with the G&L is that the frets seem so high/tall on the fretboard that it interferes a bit with slides and so. I will see if I can try a USA Asat back to back with a Tribute.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:39 am

Somebody explained me that the frets on ASAT Tributes are a lot like Dunlop 6100 frets which are quite tall and wide frets, pretty much like jumbos.

I am not sure this is true or not , but I am not used to that fret size, so that may explain why it feels a bit awkward or different for me.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:13 pm

alwinvrm wrote:Somebody explained me that the frets on ASAT Tributes are a lot like Dunlop 6100 frets which are quite tall and wide frets, pretty much like jumbos.

I am not sure this is true or not , but I am not used to that fret size, so that may explain why it feels a bit awkward or different for me.

See this post: G&L Frets?.

Hope this helps.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:29 am

Craig wrote:
alwinvrm wrote:Somebody explained me that the frets on ASAT Tributes are a lot like Dunlop 6100 frets which are quite tall and wide frets, pretty much like jumbos.

See this post: G&L Frets?.

Hope this helps.

Certainly helps, thanx, and clarifies that the G&L medium jumbo frets lean more towards jumbo size.