G&L Tribute ASAT Special pickup swap

Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:49 am

I bought my ASAT Special not really knowing much about the different types of pickups out there...specifically how the jumbo MFDs in the ASAT Special sound very different than typical Tele-style pickups. Needless to say, I wanted the Tele sound, not the ASAT Special sound. They are very different.

After doing some research, I discovered that Rio Grande Pickups sells drop-in replacements for the jumbo MFDs. I installed a Vintage Tallboy bridge pickup over the weekend and I could not be happier. The guitar has gone from a farty-sounding mushball to crystal clear Tele tone without sounding overly brittle. I've gone from not liking this guitar at all to not being able to put it down.

I'm going to do the neck pickup next, but I don't play much on that pickup, so it will be a while.

At any rate, for those who want to turn their ASAT into a Tele, check out Rio Grande Pickups.

https://www.riograndepickups.com/single ... at-guitars

Re: G&L Tribute ASAT Special pickup swap

Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:02 pm

A better option for those looking at G&L Tributes would be a Tribute ASAT Classic or one of the Musician Friend/Guitar Center ASAT Classic Limited Editions.
See these posts:
June 1, 2021-present Tribute Series Production Models.
2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute & Placentia Series ....

Hope this helps.

Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:33 am

tylersdad wrote:I bought my ASAT Special not really knowing much about the different types of pickups out there...specifically how the jumbo MFDs in the ASAT Special sound very different than typical Tele-style pickups. Needless to say, I wanted the Tele sound, not the ASAT Special sound. They are very different.

After doing some research, I discovered that Rio Grande Pickups sells drop-in replacements for the jumbo MFDs. I installed a Vintage Tallboy bridge pickup over the weekend and I could not be happier. The guitar has gone from a farty-sounding mushball to crystal clear Tele tone without sounding overly brittle. I've gone from not liking this guitar at all to not being able to put it down.

I'm going to do the neck pickup next, but I don't play much on that pickup, so it will be a while.

At any rate, for those who want to turn their ASAT into a Tele, check out Rio Grande Pickups.

https://www.riograndepickups.com/single ... at-guitars

I'm glad you're happy with the results although I would never use that description for the large MFD pickups. Listen to some Hellecasters. I would never describe their sound as "farty-sounding mush".

Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:16 pm

The ASAT special pickups are amazing to my ears. They usually require some EQing depending on the amp to get the best tone out of them. I’m surprised the ASAT special isn’t equipped with a PTB, I think more people would bond with the guitar if it had a bass cut. Having said that, how about some sound demos of those pickups? Would love to hear them!