How good is the setup on a Tribute out of the box?

Fri May 06, 2022 10:39 am

I should be getting a Tribute Comanche Limited Edition later today... Come on, FedEx, don't disappoint me again!

What can I expect the out-of-the-box setup to be like? Playable, or likely to need a pro setup?

I am sure you are thinking, "just play it and find out, dude," but as a real beginner I'm not yet able to make a super well informed evaluation. So, if everyone says, "it's probably fine," cool, I'll know it's probably me at fault. :D If everyone says, "oh you totally need a real setup," that is also helpful.

If I do get a setup, there is something else to consider... I have a few options.

There is a decent shop near me which can probably do a fine job for less than $100.

There is a nationally known luthier's shop near me, which I know will do GREAT work, but it will be $100 or maybe more.

The nicer shop also has a Plek machine. A Plek treatment is $300, but it includes a setup. To put it another way... If I do need a setup, is it worth another $200 to get it Plek'd? I'd like to know what you think!

Re: How good is the setup on a Tribute out of the box?

Fri May 06, 2022 11:03 am

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase:
Are all Tribute Series Guitars QC'd in Fullerton?.

Check for the G&L inspection/setup sticker on your guitar to determine if it was setup at the Fullerton factory.

Hope this helps.

Fri May 06, 2022 11:46 am

Thanks @Craig. I did see the G&L sticker in the sales listing online.

I know that some (many?) makers have factory setups with a really high action, like they make SURE it won't buzz at the expense of comfort, rather than doing a proper setup with a low-ish action.

Do you know what the G&L setup philosophy is?

Maybe I will measure the action when I get mine, just for fun.

Fri May 06, 2022 11:55 am

Horseflesh wrote:Thanks @Craig. I did see the G&L sticker in the sales listing online.

I know that some (many?) makers have factory setups with a really high action, like they make SURE it won't buzz at the expense of comfort, rather than doing a proper setup with a low-ish action.

Do you know what the G&L setup philosophy is?

Maybe I will measure the action when I get mine, just for fun.

See this post to see what the factory setup for both US and Tribute models are: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.

Hope this helps.

Fri May 06, 2022 12:03 pm

Haha, I should have known the answer was already in here, thanks!