G&L ASAT special electronics

Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:23 pm

Hey everyone. I’m on my second ASAT special. I had one previously that I sold and I missed it. It’s a great guitar. The one complaint is the electronics. I’m talking specifically about the controls and not the pickups. They pack so much value into every other component that it’s no surprise they don’t have USA made quality elections in it.

I have an ASAT classic with alnico single coils that I upgraded with a drop in 4way switch(I had to sand the control panel cavity to fit the drop in control panel. The quality of the electrics is vastly superior to the stock electrons. It makes me wish my ASAT special had an upgraded switch and pots.

Any recommendations on a switch and pots I could install that are compatible with the ASAT special? I’m under the impression that normal pots wouldn’t work with these pickups, so please enlighten me if I’m wrong! I’ve seen some electrons on G&Ls website but I’m not sure they are compatible. Please let me know! Much appreciated!

Re: G&L ASAT special electronics

Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:02 pm

Personally I found the switch and potentiometers in my Tribute to be fine. If you want to change them, be aware that US spec pots have a wider shaft than the Asian pots in your Tribute and will not fit through the holes in the metal control plate. I like CTS pots, but Bourns are fine too. Use the same resistance values and taper as are currently in the circuit.