SB-2 Tribute bass authenticity

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:21 am

Hi. I saw two SB-2 Tribute basses listed on eBay (both auctions closing later today) and was wondering why the headstock photos for both basses showed that they only said "G&L SB-2" -- without the usual "Tribute Series" qualifier stamped on the headstock. This seems unusual to me, to say the least, as I owned an S-500 Tribute guitar for awhile and it clearly had the Tribute marking on the headstock. Can anyone check these listings out and see if these alleged SB-2 basses seem legit or not? I did email the seller asking for the serial numbers, so I'll update the post if and when they respond. Thanks for any info or advice you might have in this matter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260638504823

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260638506053

Re: SB-2 Tribute bass authenticity

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:07 am

Do remember that the Indonesian Tributes don't have the word Tribute in huge text. Still, I'd be wondering too.

See if you can get pictures of the back of the headstocks. They would clearly show SN and country of origin.

Ken...

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks. The seller replied to me that he ordered two SB-2 basses from G&L and requested that the "tribute" decal be left off. He said he also requested the pickguard for the black bass be the pearl white, which he said is normally only on the Bordeaux Red model. He said that the SN is 080622613 (for the black SB-2 in the photos, I believe). Do you know of any way to check the SN? I already emailed G&L to ask them but I'm not sure if they'll respond before the auction closes. Thanks!

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:55 pm

rockynroll wrote:Thanks. The seller replied to me that he ordered two SB-2 basses from G&L and requested that the "tribute" decal be left off. He said he also requested the pickguard for the black bass be the pearl white, which he said is normally only on the Bordeaux Red model. He said that the SN is 080622613 (for the black SB-2 in the photos, I believe). Do you know of any way to check the SN? I already emailed G&L to ask them but I'm not sure if they'll respond before the auction closes. Thanks!

And why would G&L want to honor a request such as that? And if they did honor it, they would have to contact the factory in Indonesia and make that request and then make sure the two modified basses were well identified in the shipping container. I certainly don't see them reworking these Tribute basses at the Fullerton factory. It just does not make any sense.

Here is what the headstock decal should look like:

I would ask for pictures of the back of the basses, including a closeup of the back of each headstock.

They should look similar to this:

I just don't buy his reply. Another thing to ponder: what else has been changed, besides the headstock decal, pickguard and
case? :roll:

Buyer beware :!:

Hope this helps.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Craig wrote:Here is what the headstock decal should look like:

Thanks, Craig! Looked all over my place and couldn't find a pic. I gotta talk to my users....

rockynroll wrote:Thanks. The seller replied to me that he ordered two SB-2 basses from G&L and requested that the "tribute" decal be left off. He said he also requested the pickguard for the black bass be the pearl white, which he said is normally only on the Bordeaux Red model.

Gotta agree with Craig. It is extremely doubtful that G&L would do this. The pickguards could have been done anywhere. The decals would have to have been done during manufacturing or with a refin. And why would a G&L dealer risk his standing over this sort of thing? I'd be waving the BS flag on these.

He said that the SN is 080622613 (for the black SB-2 in the photos, I believe). Do you know of any way to check the SN? I already emailed G&L to ask them but I'm not sure if they'll respond before the auction closes. Thanks!

From a format standpoint, the SN is valid. The serialization part of it, 22613, might be bogus.

I'd be very cautious here. There are places where Tribute SB-2s have been for sale for reasonable money and no question as to authenticity.

Ken...