Tone control effects volume?

Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:47 pm

I tried using the Search function first but no luck so I thought i'd ask here.

I am a new owner of a used S500 Tribute.

I didn't notice this until today. I came back from lunch, picked up the guitar, turned up the volume and... nothing. I checked the volume on the amp and guitar and everything was full up. Plugged in my T-style and everything was ok, so i know it's not the cord?!

I noticed that although the S500's volume was on 10 the Bass tone control was on 0. When i turned it to 10 my volume was back!?!?

The tone control doesn't effect the volume until i turn it to 1. From 1 to 0 my volume goes from full to no volume?

Anyone have any ideas? Is this an Emergency Volume control? (sarc)

Re: Tone control effects volume?

Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:02 pm

The various circuits in a guitar are not electrically isolated from one and other so they do interact. Changing the volume can also effect the tone, which is why some guitars have a treble bleed capacitor on the volume control. On a Les Paul or similar two humbucker guitar if you turn the volume of one pickup all the way down when both pickups are connected it will kill the output of both pickups. I haven't looked at the topology of the S-500 PTB circuit to see what happens if you turn the bass all the way down, but I'm not surprised by your findings. If it works fine with the bass off "zero" I think it's OK. I'll look at the circuit design later to see if my reasoning is flawed.

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:55 pm

Toos: thanks for any input in advance. I have owned a Les Paul and am the way the controls interact. I'm also aware of some of the input interaction between amp inputs on certain amps.

The bass control seems to function as it should until it gets to 1 where it becomes a volume control. Not sure where to find an S500 schematic?

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:30 pm

cminor7b5 wrote:Toos: thanks for any input in advance. I have owned a Les Paul and am the way the controls interact. I'm also aware of some of the input interaction between amp inputs on certain amps.

The bass control seems to function as it should until it gets to 1 where it becomes a volume control. Not sure where to find an S500 schematic?

In the GbL Gallery we have many Schematics and wiring diagrams including the S-500 models.
Here's the link: Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics.

Hope this helps.