My Quest to Find THESE Tuners

Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:46 am

So this is a Tribute Comanche that was limited to 90 pieces for this finish. While the finish was cool and all, I noticed this particular run had locking tuners. I realize that Hipshots can be put on Tributes without modification using their plate, but what are THESE tuners? I'd love to find where these came from and wonder if they are drop in for all the Tribute series models.

Re: My Quest to Find THESE Tuners

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:06 pm

BX1018 wrote:Image

So this is a Tribute Comanche that was limited to 90 pieces for this finish. While the finish was cool and all, I noticed this particular run had locking tuners. I realize that Hipshots can be put on Tributes without modification using their plate, but what are THESE tuners? I'd love to find where these came from and wonder if they are drop in for all the Tribute series models.

Have you tried taking one off to see what the pins look like? That might answer your last question regarding if they are drop-in replacements for all Tribute. They also might have a stamp on them, such as PW (for Ping Well). By the way Hipshots will NOT fit on G&Ls with the plate (the UMP) unless you modify it. It's apparently not too hard to do, but it won't fit otherwise because of the spacing of the holes. I tried it on both US and Tribute models and also wrote Hipshot, who confirmed that it would not fit G&L guitars.

David

Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:01 pm

You've crushed my dreams as I put the Hipshots in the return envelope. :Sad:

Might as well drill a locator pin. I guess the used one I saw had been modified to make them work.

Also that picture isn't my guitar. It's just one I found from a dealer and I found it interesting that it had locking tuners already on it stock. Maybe when these were ordered a different locator pin is drilled for those tuners. Maybe at some point someone will buy one of these and can report to us.

Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:10 pm

BX1018 wrote:You've crushed my dreams as I put the Hipshots in the return envelope. :Sad:

Might as well drill a locator pin. I guess the used one I saw had been modified to make them work.

Also that picture isn't my guitar. It's just one I found from a dealer and I found it interesting that it had locking tuners already on it stock. Maybe when these were ordered a different locator pin is drilled for those tuners. Maybe at some point someone will buy one of these and can report to us.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to crush dreams. I do know of some people who have modified the UMP to make it fit. You basically have to lengthen the holes to make them line up with the G&L holes. I was a bit afraid that I would break it in the process.

David

Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:27 pm

BX1018 wrote:You've crushed my dreams as I put the Hipshots in the return envelope. :Sad:

The 2021 Tribute Series Comanche Limited Editions come with "G&L locking tuners". See: New 2021 Tribute Series updates .... I will try and find out exactly what locking tuners they.

Stay tuned.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:07 am

Much appreciated Craig.

I'm wondering if these special runs had different locator pins drilled and are like the USA G&L tuners in spec.

It's a shame G&L doesn't make drop in locking tuners available for Tribute Models. I think they'd sell really well if they could find someone to manufacture them, but I realize that in all things overseas, quantity is everything in manufacturing. I hope that's the reason because I really don't think offering them is going to sway people away from American guitars. Fender USA still sells really well even though their locking tuners fit in almost every model they manufacture.

I honestly don't like taking my more prized guitars out of the house, so when I do take a guitar out, I really love my Tribute models. I realize that not all guitars can be everything to everyone, but taking out my Tribute Fallout and Legacy gives me a pretty good range of tones to play with friends, without the piercing fear I'm going to put a huge dent in it or damage a guitar unnecessarily. Despite my love for these instruments, my Legacy has a rough time staying in tune. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to do something.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:30 am

BX1018 wrote:Much appreciated Craig.

I'm wondering if these special runs had different locator pins drilled and are like the USA G&L tuners in spec.

It's a shame G&L doesn't make drop in locking tuners available for Tribute Models. I think they'd sell really well if they could find someone to manufacture them, but I realize that in all things overseas, quantity is everything in manufacturing. I hope that's the reason because I really don't think offering them is going to sway people away from American guitars. Fender USA still sells really well even though their locking tuners fit in almost every model they manufacture.

I honestly don't like taking my more prized guitars out of the house, so when I do take a guitar out, I really love my Tribute models. I realize that not all guitars can be everything to everyone, but taking out my Tribute Fallout and Legacy gives me a pretty good range of tones to play with friends, without the piercing fear I'm going to put a huge dent in it or damage a guitar unnecessarily. Despite my love for these instruments, my Legacy has a rough time staying in tune. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to do something.

I heard back from one of my contacts at G&L:

Craig,

The keys are sourced in Indonesia. We did not send keys over for these instruments.

As of now, I know of no drop in locking tuner replacements for our Tribute instruments.

Wish I could help.

Best Regards,

Lary Spears

International Sales Manager

Check out this post: Locking Tuners for new (2021) Tribute Comanche

Hope this helps.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:12 pm

Thanks again Craig. I appreciate you looking into it.

I just ordered a tuner key jig so now it's time to go to work on these. :lol:

Sometimes a drill is the answer.

Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:08 pm

It's strange that people working for G&L don't know about tuners that fit their instruments, but both Kiesel and Graphtech make locking tuners that are in fact drop-in replacements. There are many G&L players who use them. I have two sets of Kiesels.

David

Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:44 pm

dhgleaves wrote:It's strange that people working for G&L don't know about tuners that fit their instruments, but both Kiesel and Graphtech make locking tuners that are in fact drop-in replacements. There are many G&L players who use them. I have two sets of Kiesels.

David

They do now, I sent them a copy of the thread I mentioned before.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:50 am

David,

I don't think that Keisel sells those tuners separately anymore, and even if they did, I wouldn't buy them for the same reasons I wouldn't purchase a Keisel guitar. (At least I don't see a place on their website to buy them. Maybe you can call them, but I'm not taking the time to find out).

Graphtech's are just something I'd put on a more expensive instrument. Once I got a few "nice" (code for expensive) guitars, I realized that there's this side of me that loves taking budget instruments and giving them the love they deserve.

I bought a jig to drill some holes and drop some of the "Fender drop in" hipshots. Reasonable price too. I'll try to post some pics of the jig and process to maybe give some clarity to people who are intimidated by doing their own work.

Once again, Craig and David, I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to respond!

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:20 pm

I'm glad that we could help. For anyone else that might be interested in the Kiesels, I did contact them and they said they do still sell them, but their website is being updated.

David
Last edited by dhgleaves on Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:58 am

I recently called and ordered the Kiesel locking tuners for two separate guitars. I first replaced on ASAT bluesboy special I got from guitar center 2 years ago and it was a drop in replacement. I then ordered a set for my 2017 tribute legacy and they were also a drop in replacement. I like them a lot better than the tuners that came with the guitars (they were non-locking).

they were $54 and arrived in a couple of days.

Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:53 pm

I am HUGELY interested in this topic. Would someone kindly tell me what specific model of Kiesel tuners you found that are drop in replacements?

Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:44 pm

BrotherCharles wrote:I am HUGELY interested in this topic. Would someone kindly tell me what specific model of Kiesel tuners you found that are drop in replacements?

CLT6C is the model in chrome. CLT6B is the black model which I assume is the same size, but I've only tried the chromes.

David

Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:31 pm

What is the diameter of the post hole and headstock thickness on tributes? I wonder if the Sperzel trimlok EZ-fit (no drill) tuners will fit. They say they are 13/32" and the headstock needs to be 15mm thick or less. The Kiesels appear to be 25/32". 0.015 is a pretty small difference.

It looks like a neat concept but might not work well if the two spurs just go into the double pin holes. I'm guessing the body is longer though so the spurs are probably further away from the shaft than the pin pins would be. I'm not ready to put my tribute project together or I might try a set. It would be neat to have USA Sperzels on a tribute similar to what the earlier USA guitars had.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:45 pm

bigjim711 wrote:What is the diameter of the post hole and headstock thickness on tributes? I wonder if the Sperzel trimlok EZ-fit (no drill) tuners will fit. They say they are 13/32" and the headstock needs to be 15mm thick or less. The Kiesels appear to be 25/32". 0.015 is a pretty small difference.

It looks like a neat concept but might not work well if the two spurs just go into the double pin holes. I'm guessing the body is longer though so the spurs are probably further away from the shaft than the pin pins would be. I'm not ready to put my tribute project together or I might try a set. It would be neat to have USA Sperzels on a tribute similar to what the earlier USA guitars had.

My understanding was that they were all 10 mm (hold diameter), and I have put a set of Sperzels, of the EZ-mount type, on a Tribute.
David

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:00 am

Having read this thread, I too was hopeful to source out a set of Keisels. I wrote them an email, but the reply I was kindly sent apologetically explained that they no longer sell tuners to retail customers - due to supply shortages they now only supply tuners to guitar companies. Stupid me! I recently purged my gmail and have permanently deleted the email. Else, I would have copied/pasted it here. DOH!

Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:26 am

they didn't reply to me

Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:04 am

Keisel just replied to me and said they would sell me tuners. FYI
I don't want to spam the guy's email address.
calan at k_____guitars.com