New S500 Tribute specs

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:46 am

Thinking of pulling the trigger in a new Indo Tribute S500 maple neck. I had the same Korean guitar before and was hands down the best guitar I ever owned, god knows why I sold it. I am hoping the Indo model is as good.

Firstly I take it the MFD pick ups are still US made? What about the tremolo / metal ware?

I read somewhere they have US electronics which I find hard to believe, and a push pull tone switch. Is that correct?

There is a gorgeous Made in Japan Tribute custom here for sale. The ash body is just gorgeous. Late 90s model I think. I have read good and bad reports on Japanese G&L. This one is labelled a TRIBUTE CUSTOM, whatever that means. Like new condition but the guy wants 20% more than a new Tribute. I am not interested in tremolo so not an issue for me. Would the Japanese one be a better guitar? they seem to go for a lot more than the new tributes on Ebay. I'm not a "if its Japanese its better" guy. Have had many Japanese strats and teles over the years and while the build was faultless I never felt like they had a special tone. Quite sterile but I know my opinion goes against the great majority who love them. Anyone out there had both have an opinion? If the Indo is better or not lesser quality than the Japanese model I will just buy it. To me 90% of the sound of a G&L S500 is the MFD pick ups. Which one would you choose?

Re: New S500 Tribute specs

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:27 pm

Kenny202 wrote:Thinking of pulling the trigger in a new Indo Tribute S500 maple neck. I had the same Korean guitar before and was hands down the best guitar I ever owned, god knows why I sold it. I am hoping the Indo model is as good.

Firstly I take it the MFD pick ups are still US made? What about the tremolo / metal ware?

I read somewhere they have US electronics which I find hard to believe, and a push pull tone switch. Is that correct?

There is a gorgeous Made in Japan Tribute custom here for sale. The ash body is just gorgeous. Late 90s model I think. I have read good and bad reports on Japanese G&L. This one is labelled a TRIBUTE CUSTOM, whatever that means. Like new condition but the guy wants 20% more than a new Tribute. I am not interested in tremolo so not an issue for me. Would the Japanese one be a better guitar? they seem to go for a lot more than the new tributes on Ebay. I'm not a "if its Japanese its better" guy. Have had many Japanese strats and teles over the years and while the build was faultless I never felt like they had a special tone. Quite sterile but I know my opinion goes against the great majority who love them. Anyone out there had both have an opinion? If the Indo is better or not lesser quality than the Japanese model I will just buy it. To me 90% of the sound of a G&L S500 is the MFD pick ups. Which one would you choose?

<Note: photos have been removed by poster>

Here are some posts to read to help answer most of your questions:

What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?
Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes?
List of pickups used in G&L guitars
1/15/2020-present Tribute Series Production Models
1/23/2019-1/14/2020 Tribute Series Production Models
August 1, 2017-Jan 24, 2018 Tribute Series Production Models
2012-July 31, 2014 Tribute Series Standard Production Models
2009-2010 Tribute Series Standard Production Models

To me 90% of the sound of a G&L S500 is the MFD pick ups. Which one would you choose?

Based upon your quote: I would go with the current Made in Indonesia S-500, or a 2012-2020 with a Mahogany body, or a 2007-2011 with a Swamp Ash body
over the MIJ S-500.

Hope this helps.

Re: New S500 Tribute specs

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:33 am

Well that story had a happy ending :-) I put a wanted add in local Facebook here looking for a second hand Tribute S500. The guy who bought my Korean one contacted me and asked me if I wanted to buy it back. Sure do. It doesn't look much but man it plays and sounds sooooo good