Updated electrics on Tribute ASAT classic w/MFD's

Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:53 pm

I have a Tribute ASAT classic w/MFD's ser# 030709xx. Stock pots were scratchy, etc. I think they were the wrong pots, 500K both vol and tone, 0.050uf tone cap. Put in all new, everything fit.

Old 3 way import switch-> New Oak Grigsby 4-way. The routed cavity is deep enough, fits just fine, slot in the plate was long enough for the throw of the new switch, screw holes line up perfect. Old metric switch knob doesn't fit, I grabbed an old knob off a 1960's tube tester, fits like a champ. Knob is vintage 60's, probably worth more than the guitar, ha ha.

Old small metric pots-> new standard size pots, CTS 3/8" hole, 1/4" smooth shaft. I didn't have to drill or ream holes in the plate, bigger pots fit right in. Body cavity is plenty wide for the bigger pots. Ernie Ball chrome knobs with hex set screws. 250k pots, 0.020uf tone cap.

Everything fits, works as it should, sounds great. No metalworking of the control plate or routing of the body control cavity needed.

This is just an FYI if anyone was looking to do this.

Re: Updated electrics on Tribute ASAT classic w/MFD's

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:38 am

Good morning.
I'm planning on upgrading my Tribute ASAT Classic. New CTS pots, new caps and the 4 way switch mod. As I'm researching the wiring for the 4 way switch, I've come across conflicts between schematics. The method I see recommended most often on this site calls for the lead wire on the neck p/u to be wired directly to the volume pot. All other diagrams I've seen call for the neck p/u to be wired to the switch. Do you have any insight on this, given your experience?
Thanks,
D