G&L Tribute custom S500 made in Japan

Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:21 am

I am not sure if all Japanese Tribute production ceased 2003 or if they were making G&L tribs for the Japanese market only after this time. I live in Thailand so it may be possible one of these Tributes found its way here and currently for sale albeit for silly money, but if its a good guitar I am sure I will get it cheaper. I have had no luck posting / hosting photos here so my description will have to do

It looks like a really high quality figured ash tobacco sunburst finish. On the front of the headstock has a large G&L logo, and under Tribute custom, made in Japan. Three knobs and a mini switch same as a Korean one I had. 3 single coil MFD pick ups. Large G&L stamped on the neck plate. Gotoh tuners. Serial stamped on the back of the head 6090130. I was under the impression the first series made in Japan were of inferior quality (or so G&L claims) however this looks like an exceptionally high quality well made instrument.

Can anyone tell me what I am looking at here? Is it a standard first series Japanese made tribute or something better? Maybe a made for Japan only later model?

Re: G&L Tribute custom S500 made in Japan

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:38 pm

Kenny202 wrote:I am not sure if all Japanese Tribute production ceased 2003 or if they were making G&L tribs for the Japanese market only after this time. I live in Thailand so it may be possible one of these Tributes found its way here and currently for sale albeit for silly money, but if its a good guitar I am sure I will get it cheaper. I have had no luck posting / hosting photos here so my description will have to do

It looks like a really high quality figured ash tobacco sunburst finish. On the front of the headstock has a large G&L logo, and under Tribute custom, made in Japan. Three knobs and a mini switch same as a Korean one I had. 3 single coil MFD pick ups. Large G&L stamped on the neck plate. Gotoh tuners. Serial stamped on the back of the head 6090130. I was under the impression the first series made in Japan were of inferior quality (or so G&L claims) however this looks like an exceptionally high quality well made instrument.

Can anyone tell me what I am looking at here? Is it a standard first series Japanese made tribute or something better? Maybe a made for Japan only later model?

Does this one have a skunk stripe and a Fender style bridge? If so, I have more or less the same guitar (I played it at practice last night). Mine doesn't say Tribute Custom though, just Tribute Series, but has Made in Japan below it. We concluded that, based on the serial number, mine would have been made in 1999, so the one you're looking at may have been made in 1996. It would be one of the earliest Tributes, and I think they were made by Fujigen. Mine is one of the nicest guitars that I own, and I have several USA G&Ls.

David

Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:42 pm

By the way, I see two similar guitars currently listed online, one on Ebay and one on Reverb. They both say they are in Tokyo.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Skunk strip I assume you mean on the back of the maple neck? yes and it does have a Fender style trem. The ash body is seriously the nicest one I have ever seen. I am sure it would be an awesome guitar, has the US MFD pick ups. Problem is the guy wants a $1000 and that is just ridiculous money in Thailand where I live, G&L just aren't well known or regarded here and I just bought a mint US one in the case for the same money, so there is no way he will sell it for that price.

By the way I thought the first Tributes from Japan weren't well regarded and the Korean ones are considered to be the better guitar?
http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewt ... =12&t=1284

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:59 pm

Yes, that's what I meant by skunk stripe. The two that I saw listed in Japan are both less expensive that what you mentioned, but I don't know how much it would cost for postage/shipping to where you are. That's an interesting quote by Dave McLaren about the quality of Japan Tributes. I had not read it. He referred to the line being better, which could have meant that they had more control over how they were built. Clearly Korean and Indonesian Tributes are in line with G&L specifications. The ones from Japan seem like a mixture of Fender and G&L guitars. Mine is definitely a nice guitar. I traded a MIM Fender, and have no regrets. Sometimes the tuners on Tributes are criticised, but the Japan models have Gotoh tuners, which are nicer.

David

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:22 pm

Ahhhh I've had Indo and Korean Tribbys and no problems with tuners at all. The only problem I have seen and more a cosmetic thing is the maple fretboards tend to discolor easily. Just about every other one I have seen with normal play wear seemed to be like this unless barely played condition. I'm not talking about a played to death relic either. I remember making a post about it here and was greeted with shock like no one has ever noticed it. Only saw one yesterday for sale like this.

Guitars are very cheap for me to buy from Japan, at least until they hit customs anyway. And you never know what sort of tax you are going to pay, its basically up to them and there is no disputing it, and has nothing to do with your buy price. They estimate. Last 2 I bought 30+ % duty.

The remarks from G&L re new manufacturing in Korea as opposed to Japan yeah lol, sound like something a manufacturer would say moving their operation to a lesser regarded country. I wouldn't have been very happy back then if I was a G&L Japan owner. "Better than the Japan model by quite a lot"?

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:07 am

Heres the beast in question.....