G&L Tribute Legacy Spec Confirmation

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:32 am

Hi guys. Thanks for taking the time to read this post, this site seems to be one of the few places on the Web for information on G&L guitars which surprises me for the brand.

Im pretty sure I already know the answer to my question but I'm just looking for clarification if possible.

In May this year I purchased a white Tribute Legacy Limited Edition from a G&L dealer in the UK after looking for a good quality affordable Strat style guitar. It was on sale for <actual price removed> and I thought the spec for the money was too good to miss. All of the spec information on the dealers listing mentioned the guitar having the Fullerton made single coil pickups. After trying to find out what exactly made this particular model 'limited edition', all of the information I find seems to suggest the LE models were simply fitted with Indonesian made pickups and an unfinished neck, which mine also has.

I like the guitar, but I do not like being mis-sold products. Could you confirm if the above information is correct? Many thanks for your time.

Last edited by Craig on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin removed actual price as we are not allowed to post prices for new G&L intruments

Re: G&L Tribute Legacy Spec Confirmation

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:00 am

Electro91 wrote:Hi guys. Thanks for taking the time to read this post, this site seems to be one of the few places on the Web for information on G&L guitars which surprises me for the brand.

Im pretty sure I already know the answer to my question but I'm just looking for clarification if possible.

In May this year I purchased a white Tribute Legacy Limited Edition from a G&L dealer in the UK after looking for a good quality affordable Strat style guitar. It was on sale for <actual price removed> and I thought the spec for the money was too good to miss. All of the spec information on the dealers listing mentioned the guitar having the Fullerton made single coil pickups. After trying to find out what exactly made this particular model 'limited edition', all of the information I find seems to suggest the LE models were simply fitted with Indonesian made pickups and an unfinished neck, which mine also has.

I like the guitar, but I do not like being mis-sold products. Could you confirm if the above information is correct? Many thanks for your time.

I am only familiar with the Tribute Series Limited Edition models available for Musician's Friend/Guitar Center here in the US, see this post:
2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

I looked on the UK dealer websites looking for the Tribute LE you have, but only find one LE, a Tribute Legacy Irish Ale LImited Edtion, on Anderton's website.

What are the first four digits (YYMM) of the Serial Number on your guitar and which dealer did you purchase this guitar from?
I will contact one of my contacts at G&L to find out about this Tribute LE you have.

Please note that I edited out the actual price in your post because we are not allowed to post actual prices of new G&L instruments.
See: Welcome! Read This First.

Stay tuned.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:47 pm

My understanding, perhaps flawed, is that USA made Legacy single coil pickups will have CLF-100 embossed on the pickup cover. Non-USA Tribute pickups are wound in the Cort-Indonesia factory to the same specification as the G&L Fullerton pickups.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:24 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:My understanding, perhaps flawed, is that USA made Legacy single coil pickups will have CLF-100 embossed on the pickup cover. Non-USA Tribute pickups are wound in the Cort-Indonesia factory to the same specification as the G&L Fullerton pickups.

Not anymore on the G&L embossed Legacy covers (since 2017, possibly earlier), see this post: Re: G&L Tribute Legacy - No logo on pups?.

Summary:
I heard back from Spencer today:
Hi Craig,
We had to take the Logo off the CLF 100 pickups due to worn out tooling. So all G&L CLF 100 pickups have no logo on them now. We are still making the pickups here for the tribute Legacy. As mentioned below, the Musician’s Friend special models have pickups made to our spec in Indonesia to be able to hit a lower price point.

Spencer

So, all G&L CLF 100 pickups will no longer have the logo on the covers.

Hope this helps.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:45 am

Thank you everyone for your help with this.

The first four digits are 1902

Purchased from Andertons in the UK, yes.

Thanks again!

I see in that post you linked on the MF Tribute models it shows the Irish Ale LE and also the Olympic White LE. Those two colours were both listed on the sellers website originally but the specs showed them coming with the CLF100 pickups, however the Olympic White version which I bought is now sold out.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:14 am

Electro91 wrote:Thank you everyone for your help with this.

The first four digits are 1902

Purchased from Andertons in the UK, yes.

Thanks again!

I see in that post you linked on the MF Tribute models it shows the Irish Ale LE and also the Olympic White LE. Those two colours were both listed on the sellers website originally but the specs showed them coming with the CLF100 pickups, however the Olympic White version which I bought is now sold out.

I heard back from my contact in G&L Sales:

Craig,

I just addressed this with Andertons, they didn’t know. They are our specs but made in Indo.

Hope this helps.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:46 am

I am super impressed with your connections and ability to find that information that fast. That is amazing thank you. When I purchased this guitar the listing said they had 5 in stock. I feel sorry for the other 4 customers who have seemingly been (mistakenly) missold. Thank you so much for your help.

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:27 pm

Electro91 wrote:I am super impressed with your connections and ability to find that information that fast. That is amazing thank you. When I purchased this guitar the listing said they had 5 in stock. I feel sorry for the other 4 customers who have seemingly been (mistakenly) missold. Thank you so much for your help.

If the pickups are built to G&L's CLF-100 pickups specs, then you will not hear any differences
between the US made pickups in the standard Tribute Legacy models and the Indonesian built
pickups. They are all machine wound pickups. I remember Paul Gagon saying years ago, that
the Cortek factory built pickups were excellent. I don't recall any members here, who bought a
Tribute Legacy LE model, saying they were disappointed with the single coil Alnico pickups in
those Tribute Legacy LE guitars. Perhaps some of those members willpost their experiences here.

I am happy to be able to help.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:20 pm

Craig wrote:
Electro91 wrote:I am super impressed with your connections and ability to find that information that fast. That is amazing thank you. When I purchased this guitar the listing said they had 5 in stock. I feel sorry for the other 4 customers who have seemingly been (mistakenly) missold. Thank you so much for your help.

If the pickups are built to G&L's CLF-100 pickups specs, then you will not hear any differences
between the US made pickups in the standard Tribute Legacy models and the Indonesian built
pickups. They are all machine wound pickups. I remember Paul Gagon saying years ago, that
the Cortek factory built pickups were excellent. I don't recall any members here, who bought a
Tribute Legacy LE model, saying they were disappointed with the single coil Alnico pickups in
those Tribute Legacy LE guitars. Perhaps some of those members willpost their experiences here.

I don't own one of these guitars, but I know that there are some vocal members of a G&L Facebook group who argue that there is a big difference in the quality of the USA and "Asian" (the term they often use) pickups in these models. The one that always causes controversy is the Irish Ale Legacy. It's hard to understand what to make of these guys' comments because both according to Musician's Friend and also what you have here at http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=12946 that model is supposed to have CLF-100 pickups (which are made in the USA), but these guys argue that they are definitely not and that they can tell because the quality is so poor. As you say, even if they are made by Cort, they are made to G&L specifications, so again I'm not sure what to make so such comments. Have you had confirmation, though, that the Irish Ale Legacy definitely has USA-made CLF-100s?

David

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:40 pm

dhgleaves wrote:
Craig wrote:

I don't own one of these guitars, but I know that there are some vocal members of a G&L Facebook group who argue that there is a big difference in the quality of the USA and "Asian" (the term they often use) pickups in these models. The one that always causes controversy is the Irish Ale Legacy. It's hard to understand what to make of these guys' comments because both according to Musician's Friend and also what you have here at http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=12946 that model is supposed to have CLF-100 pickups (which are made in the USA), but these guys argue that they are definitely not and that they can tell because the quality is so poor. As you say, even if they are made by Cort, they are made to G&L specifications, so again I'm not sure what to make so such comments. Have you had confirmation, though, that the Irish Ale Legacy definitely has USA-made CLF-100s?

David

I did confirm that the Tribute Legacy LE models all have pickups made to G&L Specifications at the Cortek factory.
I just corrected the G&L Tribute Legacy Electric Guitar Irish Ale Limited Edition pickups specifications, they are made to G&L Specifications at the Cortek factory.

Thanks for pointing out the error in that post.