Tribute finishes and plastics

Mon May 04, 2020 2:01 pm

I have had a Tribute Doheny in Lake Placid Blue for about 18 months now. I love it.

I'm interested in a few questions on the finish and plastics:

- Does anyone know if the finish is polyester or polyurethane on these?
- The Doheny is still a fairly new model, but the Indonesian Tributes have been around a few years now, and the Lake Placid Blue that my Doheny comes in also seems to have been around on the Indonesian Tribute Legacies, Tribute Bluesboys, etc. Does anyone know if these finishes 'yellow' or fade appreciably in UV light?
- Likewise, assuming the white plastics in use on the pickguard, knobs and pickup covers are more or less the same as those on other Tribute models, does anyone know if these turn less of a stark white with exposure to UV?

I'm in the UK and keep the guitar in a fairly dark, north facing room and away from a window, so I haven't seen any obvious changes with mine. Just curious if it would start to age a little if I kept it in a brighter room. No big deal if not.

Re: Tribute finishes and plastics

Tue May 05, 2020 7:39 am

guitarsammy wrote:I have had a Tribute Doheny in Lake Placid Blue for about 18 months now. I love it.

I'm interested in a few questions on the finish and plastics:

- Does anyone know if the finish is polyester or polyurethane on these?
- The Doheny is still a fairly new model, but the Indonesian Tributes have been around a few years now, and the Lake Placid Blue that my Doheny comes in also seems to have been around on the Indonesian Tribute Legacies, Tribute Bluesboys, etc. Does anyone know if these finishes 'yellow' or fade appreciably in UV light?
- Likewise, assuming the white plastics in use on the pickguard, knobs and pickup covers are more or less the same as those on other Tribute models, does anyone know if these turn less of a stark white with exposure to UV?

I'm in the UK and keep the guitar in a fairly dark, north facing room and away from a window, so I haven't seen any obvious changes with mine. Just curious if it would start to age a little if I kept it in a brighter room. No big deal if not.

The Tribute finishes are polyurethane.

The Made in Korea Tribute Series were in production from 2003-2006. See: What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?
The Made in Indonesia Tribute Series were/are in production from 2007-present. See: Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes?

Can't help with the effects of UV on the Tribute Series finishes and plastics.