Some new G&L Tribute Series instruments on the setup bench

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Recently posted on G&L's facebook page:

Unloading a container of G&L Tribute Series. Let me be the first to say “welcome home” to many of you parts made here, sent on a business trip and now you’ve returned successfully. Well done! I heard that you were all very good parts, no staying out late or hammering down cocktails on the beach in Bali. Their job was to get installed and hurry back here cause we got people waitin

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic Lefty in Clear Orange

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy Lefty in Natural Gloss

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series L-2500 in Redburst

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series L-2000 in Clear Orange

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Doheny in Olympic White

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series LB-100 in 3-Tone Sunburst

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy in Sonic Blue. Deceptively chill looking ; )

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Doheny in Lake Placid Blue.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Legacy Lefty in 3-Tone Sunburst over swamp ash.
Now this may blow some minds, but it sounds just as sweet a righty one, not backward at all ; )

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Fallout in Sonic Blue over mahogany. Ridiculously fun.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series LB-100 in Natural Gloss over swamp ash

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series SB-2 in Black Frost.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow in Clear Orange over swamp ash.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series L-2000 looking slick in Olympic White over basswood with matching headstock.
At the heart of this machine are Leo’s Magnetic Field Design humbuckers, and like all MFD pickups,
these were made here in the historic CLF Research factory on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic in Jet Black over basswood

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic in Tobacco Sunburst over swamp ash

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Junior II in Clear Red over mahogany. It’s even better than it looks.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic in Butterscotch Blonde over swamp ash.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series JB-2 in 3-Tone Sunburst over swamp ash

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Special in Irish Ale over mahogany.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Fallout in Alpine White. This guitar wants to party.
I mean, just look at it there with its chunky Saddle Lock bridge, all ready to thrash and bash with killer sustain.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow in Natural Gloss over swamp ash.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series L-2500 in Honeyburst.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic in Clear Orange over swamp ash.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Legacy HSS in Sunburst.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series L-2000 Lefty in Sunburst over swamp ash.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Special in Surf Green. Ride the Anti-Satellite to stardom.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Legacy in Natural Gloss over swamp ash.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow in Redburst over swamp ash.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Fallout in Mint Green over mahogany. Unbelievably fun.
Thrash and bash with massive sustain and stability, or jazz and jangle with grace and ease. Probably more fun to thrash though.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Comanche in Olympic White over mahogany, matching headstock up top.
Leo’s MFD Z-coil “percussive humbucking” pickups provide power with rich harmonics but no 60-cycle hum.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series L-2000 in Natural Gloss over swamp ash. MFD power to the people.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Kiloton in Irish Ale. MFD power

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Deluxe in Trans Red over maple on mahogany.
The Saddle Lock bridge unlocks sustain and power, while a push/pull splitter adds versatility.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series L-2500 in Honeyburst over swamp ash.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow in Redburst over swamp ash.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Legacy in Surf Green.

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series ASAT Special in Irish Ale over mahogany

On the setup bench: a new G&L Tribute Series Fallout in Gloss Black over mahogany. When you own one, it’s so much fun you feel like you stole it. So drive it like you stole it.

Last edited by Craig on Wed May 06, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Reason: Added another photo

Re: Some new G&L Tribute Series instruments on the setup ben

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm

It amazes me how beautiful, and how seemingly well built most of these tribute series guitars and basses are!
The redburst bluesboy looks amazing, and the irish ale over mahogany asat special are eye catchers. The L 2500 bass as well.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:37 pm

I was thinking the same thing . These examples have me re-thinking my been there, done that illogical attitude to import guitars.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:07 pm

The Tributes look really well built. My Tribute Fallout is great to play and sounds gorgeous, and I mean this even comparing to my US-made first LE, SC-3, and L2000.

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:58 pm

I have some excellent import guitars and consider them to be great values. I have Korean made Epiphones that are really nice especially after I put in new pickups and electronics. A Squier Affinity Tele that I paid $80 for used is beautiful, really well made and plays great. It had garbage electronics, but after new pots, caps, and Don Mare pickups it is one of my favorite guitars. As far as G&L Tributes, my ASAT Jr. II is one of my favorites and I had a Legacy that was total junk and was sent back to the store. All of my USA G&L and Fender guitars are much better than any of my imports, but the price difference is very large, even after the electronics upgrades on the imports. I recently played some low end USA Gibson Les Pauls at Guitar Center and in my opinion the import models were significantly better.

Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Are US setups a new thing for Tributes? I recently reviewed the ‘14 or ‘15 ASAT Deluxe my dad bought from MF new; handling that guitar the day it arrived it was obvious no hands had ever touched it as far as setup. Truss completely backed out, not intonated (all saddles barely threaded etc.)

They’re good guitars, but TBH the fit/finish and fretwork still don’t touch the US (speaking as an owner of Fullerton G&Ls, Corona/Fullerton Fenders, and many other MIM, MIJ, MIC guitars. They are certainly worth the purchase price, whether set up or not :)

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:00 am

I wonder if this is a MF / GC or big box thing? Pretty much every new import stringed instrument I purchased from MF or GC has not been through any setup. Terrible fret buzz due to truss rod not being adjusted, no effort to intonate the instrument, strings not set for radius of the neck....

JB-2 purchased form MF needed truss rod and intonation. I don't recall any tags, but I believe the information posted here about Tributes talk about them going through US factory inspection.
Epiphone ES-339 purchased from GC needed needed truss rod and intonation - this instrument had all sorts of tags bragging about being inspected and setup in the US. This was for my daughter (BTW I really like this guitar).
Guild AO-5CE purchased from AMS was so bad I though it would have to be returned. I was eventually able to get the neck adjusted so that it would play.

All these claim to go through some US factory inspection but didn't seem to go through any.

Now the Jazzmaster I just purchased from Chicago Music Exchange was set-up. Don't know if it was the factory or CME themselves. I'm guessing it was CME. It came ready to play - just had to tension to tune and it was good to go. Action good, intonation good.

If I had to guess, it seems to me that the big box store maybe getting direct ship for the overseas factories to save cost and the factory inspection / set-up is skipped. They seem to be doing this many brands.

All three instruments I mention are fine instruments and were good values in the end - thought it would have been nice if they actually went through an inspection and set-up.

Cheers, Dan
Last edited by WitSok on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:27 pm

I just took delivery of a Tribute ASAT Bluesboy last week. It came with a sticker on the pick guard that I took to be an inspection or set up signature. I am very pleased with everything about this guitar.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi regal music show us a pic! I think setups on imports are hit or miss.

My 1st g&l was a tribute legacy I bought new for 25% off usual price for reasons unclear.
I couldn’t find anything wrong with it except it desperately needed a setup, neck bowed, bridge saddles
Height, intonation, etc. poor shielding resulting in crackles from touching the pick guard. 2 hours of work and minimal cost fixed those issues, still a great deal, and I set up my own anyway no matter how good or bad they are.

I got a trib asat special that needed a neck shim and a few minor tweaks and was awesome.
I have a 2001 Korean epi 335 that came new with a horrible factory setup, despite stickers to the contrary and now is one of my best players.
I guess if you expect that you’ll need to do some set up on anything you get, you won’t be disappointed. the exception would be if I laid out big bucks for something custom, I’d expect a great setup. Closest I’ve come to that was my Comanche, On which the setup was near perfect!

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:53 pm

I should clarify my statement about my Tribute Fallout being great to play. I got it used on Reverb. I was curious about it from the start because in the G&L catalog it showed the Sonic Blue Fallout with a maple neck, but mine came with a Rosewood neck. Checking with G&L I found out the neck came from an orange colored Fallout, so my guitar had a neck swapped done.

The neck was slightly misaligned, which was easily fixed. It also had a bit of a bow which caused the action to be a bit high. Over about 2 weeks I gradually straightened the neck by adjusting the trussrod. Finally I adjusted all the saddle height and intonation. I also made minor pickup height adjustments. At that point the guitar played and sounded great, which it remains to this day almost 2 years later.

With the neck swap I have no idea how it was set up initially. It needed a setup after I acquired it. It was not a lot of work, and it turned into a great playing guitar.
Last edited by Kit on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:56 pm

WitSok wrote:Now the Jazzmaster I just purchased from Chicago Music Exchange was set-up. Don't know if it was the factory or CME themselves. I'm guessing it was CME. It cam ready to play - just had to tension to tune and it was good to go. Action good, intonation good.

Dan,

The folks at CME most certainly do an inspection and setup themselves. All instruments I got through them had a inspection/setup check sheet included.

- Jos

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Yep. mine came with the inspection card. I assumed CME did the set-up. Was very happy, would definitely but from CME again.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 am

That Legacy HSS in Sunburst looks great. That's my next G&L.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:16 pm

I have to admit I'm not buying into the idea that every Tribute is inspected and setup in Fullerton either and I have two recent examples to share that would tend to verify this.

Last June I purchased a new Kiltoton (white/basswood) from a local dealer. I know they had not done a setup yet as it was still in it's shipping box in the storeroom. I didn't bother to have them do a set up since I was planning to change the strings anyway. After I did and started in on a new setup I found that the allen wrench would not engage in the truss rod. Just to be certain I wasn't crazy I brought it back to the dealer and ask their tech to see if he was able to do it and it failed to engage for him as well.

They shipped the bass back for repair or replacement. White Kilos where on back order so I ended up eventually taking home the Irish Ale they had in stock which had been properly setup and I'm actually quite happy with it. I like the way the bass sounds with an ash body more than I did the basswood body. The MFDs just seem punchier and the neck felt somewhat better. But my issue is this. Had G&L actually inspected the bass in Fullerton they should have discovered the issue with the truss rod before it ever shipped.

Then today I received a brand new Tribute ASAT Special (Irish Ale) shipped from an online dealer and the volume knob was binding on the control plate so that it couldn't complete it's travel against the stop and shut off completely. I don't send stuff back for small gripes like that. I fixed it myself but as tight as those knobs are mounted on their shaft it took a pair of pliers wrapped in cloth for padding just to lift it enough to clear. I'd hate to see what it would take to remove one completely. But again even a cursory inspection would have discovered and fixed that issue.

I have a whole lot of good friends who play G&L basses. We love the product and are very supportive of them but we've all experienced small annoying issues that should have been caught before the instrument was shipped including my ASAT which also had an inspection sticker affixed to it. So come one G&L. Step up to the plate and get your act together. You guys have got the major stuff down now get these minor issues taken care of as well and don't ship it unless it's 100%. Your product is too good to not be 100% when it goes out the door......thanks.

Last bumped by Craig on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:16 pm.