2010 Asat Tribute Classic thinline

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:59 am

Picked up a beautiful I believe 2010 Asat Tribute Classic Thinline today. Tobacco sunburst. HB in the neck, single coil bridge.

I have an S500 Korean tribute that I adore, in fact I sold my US Tele and a couple of other guitars in favour of it as it sounds and plays so damn good. Cheapest plainest looking guitar I have owned but it sounds so good, awesome neck.

Took pot luck and bought the Asat 2nd hand online very cheap. Made in Indonesia. Don't know much about these guitars think they are called Bluesboy or something now. Can anyone tell me about these guitars from back then? Are they well regarded? Well made? Serial number 100618350
Not sure if anyone can see link to photos apparently GBL site has a problem with Google photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dJLrCEyP6g7S74348

Re: 2010 Asat Tribute Classic thinline

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 am

Kenny202 wrote:Picked up a beautiful I believe 2010 Asat Tribute Classic Thinline today. Tobacco sunburst. HB in the neck, single coil bridge.

I have an S500 Korean tribute that I adore, in fact I sold my US Tele and a couple of other guitars in favour of it as it sounds and plays so damn good. Cheapest plainest looking guitar I have owned but it sounds so good, awesome neck.

Took pot luck and bought the Asat 2nd hand online very cheap. Made in Indonesia. Don't know much about these guitars think they are called Bluesboy or something now. Can anyone tell me about these guitars from back then? Are they well regarded? Well made? Serial number 100618350
Not sure if anyone can see link to photos apparently GBL site has a problem with Google photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dJLrCEyP6g7S74348

Here is one of your photos inline (using BBcode timage= to resize to fit our size limits):

That is a Tribute ASAT CLASSIC BLUESBOY SEMI-HOLLOW in 3-tone Sunburst finish, made in Indonesia in June 2010.
It looks like a previous owner swapped out the Tortoise pickguard for a White Pearloid pickguard.

Here is the Specifications, reference link in our Specifications and Options sub-forum = 2009-2010 Tribute Series Standard Production Models:
ASAT CLASSIC BLUESBOY SEMI-HOLLOW
COLORS: • 3-Tone Sunburst/Tortoise pickguard/Maple fingerboard
• Natural Gloss/Tortoise pickguard/Rosewood fingerboard
BODY WOOD: Swamp Ash with twin voice chambers and f-hole
NECK WOOD: Hard rock maple
NECK DIMENSIONS: 1 5/8" (41.3mm) width at nut, 9" radius
PICKUPS: G&L Alnico V humbucker with nickel cover (neck) and G&L
traditional Magnetic Field Design Single-Coil (bridge)
CONTROLS: 3-way pickup selector, volume, tone
BRIDGE: Traditional boxed steel bridge with six brass saddles

Hope this helps.

Also, please add it to our G&L Registry.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:54 am

I also notice in the photo of the back of the headstock, that the bottom half of the serial number/origin has been scratched out.
It would have said "Indonesia". Also, at some point different tuners were installed but it looks like the stock tuners are back on.
Notice the small dot below each tuner where the replacement tuner screw went.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added inline photo

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Craig wrote:Image

I also notice in the photo of the back of the headstock, that the bottom half of the serial number/origin has been scratched out.
It would have said "Indonesia". Also, at some point different tuners were installed but it looks like the stock tuners are back on.
Notice the small dot below each tuner where the replacement tuner screw went.

Hope this helps.

Still don't see the photo? Should I put a URL link or use the IMG or URL link? I have tried the IMG link and it always says unable to determine size?

Thanks so much for your help. I did notice the made in Indonesia scratched off lol. I live in Thailand and they do stuff like that all the time. Buy a US Fender and find out later it has Chinese copy pick ups or only the neck is US. Thailand land of scam.

You might remember I posted about a "made in Japan" S500 tribute. Funny story. I thought it was Japanese because it had a Made in Japan heel plate. It's the first G&L I ever owned so bought it by mistake but very cheap. Same thing had the made in Korea scratched off the back of the neck. As it turns out it seems like the Korean ones are better than Japanese anyway and this particular S500...very dull looking guitar, Maple neck, black paint white pick guard but the best player I have ever had. Silky neck and sounds amazing. I always been a Fender man, and would never buy Indonesian etc but already sold my US Tele, Strat and Mex tele in favour of this one. Just love the G&L. Wanted a thinline for sometime and this one came up last night at a very low price ($250 used in a hard case, G&L not well known here) so I nearly wet my pants grabbing it. Being shipped today.

I did notice about the tuners too. I wonder why I thought the G&L tuners pretty good? Maybe one of those people that like to mod things. Locking tuners?

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:52 am

Got the guitar today. Beautiful and plays beautiful but I don't think it's going to replace my S500. Has so many voices. Funny but the body is unmarked as is the chrome hardware. On the other hand the neck has what I thought was dirt on the fretboard from dirty fingers or something. Looks like bare maple finish but I cleaned it up and there is some sort of finish on the fretboard and the marks didn't really come off. My other Indo G&L is the same. I was actually starting to suspect someone had replaced the neck but took the neck off and in very feint writing looks like Bluesboy written on the underside of the (neck that sits in the pocket). Its the lightest guitar I have ever owned literally pick the body up with two fingers. Pick ups really bight. Clean it up and throw some new strings on her