Tribute color question (which white is this?)

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 am

Hi all,

I have an uncertainty regarding the white color (shades) on the tribute series. Although this is bass-related, I would like to know better about the color names and the how it actually looks. Actually, this is just for asthetics :rolleyes:

The Tribute Kiloton bass is listed as Olympic White on the G&L page, as is the Tribute LB-100. However, the color tone look quite different on both, such as the Kiloton is far more white. I have seen this shade named as Alpine White and in fact the bass is listed as AW on the Thomann webshop.

Now, I know that taking pictures is difficult, esp having the white balance in mind, so web pictures dont always tell the truth.

Does anyone know which white tone the Tribute Kiloton actually is? :searching:

I consider getting one and would probably like to swap the pickguard for a custom red tortoise one but I am not sure whether this works with the body color.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Tribute color question (which white is this?)

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:50 am

I would believe the G&L website, "Olympic White over Basswood body, 3-ply white pickguard, clear satin neck finish, Brazilian Cherry fingerboard"

Since one has white pickguard and the other a black, I suspect that is affecting how the white appears in the photos.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:02 am

Just did a quick check of the Tribute Series. It appears that Olympic White is listed for all the white tributes except: Fallout (Alpine White) and S-500 (Vintage White). I kid of expected them to be all the same white to have a more standardize paint line for the Tributes. But then, the factory runs all sorts of paints for other makers import guitars... I'd still trust the G&L site, I really think it is the contrast vs lack of contrast in the two picture that make them look different. I agree the LB-100 definitely looks brighter/whiter, but it also has the most contrast.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:37 am

That's interesting. On my screen, the Kiloton looks whiter than the LB-100. The LB-100 looks more like cream/vintage white. I wonder if they shoot these pictures with a grey card.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:19 pm

yucafrita wrote:Hi all,

I have an uncertainty regarding the white color (shades) on the tribute series. Although this is bass-related, I would like to know better about the color names and the how it actually looks. Actually, this is just for asthetics :rolleyes:

The Tribute Kiloton bass is listed as Olympic White on the G&L page, as is the Tribute LB-100. However, the color tone look quite different on both, such as the Kiloton is far more white. I have seen this shade named as Alpine White and in fact the bass is listed as AW on the Thomann webshop.

Now, I know that taking pictures is difficult, esp having the white balance in mind, so web pictures dont always tell the truth.

Does anyone know which white tone the Tribute Kiloton actually is? :searching:

I consider getting one and would probably like to swap the pickguard for a custom red tortoise one but I am not sure whether this works with the body color.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Andreas

When the Tribute Kiloton first came out in June 2017 the finish was Alpine White:

Kiloton™ [NEW 6/2017]
Finish · Alpine White, 3-ply white pickguard, clear satin neck finish, rosewood fingerboard
Body wood Basswood
Neck wood Hard-Rock Maple with Rosewood fingerboard
Neck dimensions 1 1/2" width at nut, 12” radius
Neck Profile Medium C
Frets 21 medium jumbo, nickel
Tuning Keys Traditional open-back
Bridge G&L Saddle-Lock™
Pickup Leo Fender†-designed G&L MFD™ Magnetic Field Design humbucker made in Fullerton, California
Controls single volume, single tone, 3-way series/split/parallel mini toggle

I think they are still using Alpine White photo even though the available finishes changed with the 2018 Price List:

Kiloton™
Finishes
· Olympic White, 3-ply white pickguard, clear satin neck, Brazilian Cherry fingerboard
· Irish Ale, tortoise pickguard, clear satin neck, Maple fingerboard
Body wood Basswood (solid finishes) or Swamp Ash (translucent & burst finishes)
Neck wood Hard-Rock Maple with satin finish
Neck dimensions 1 1⁄2” width at nut, 12” radius
Pickup G&L MFD™ Magnetic Field Design humbucker
Controls 3-way series/split/parallel mini toggle, volume, tone
Bridge G&L Saddle-Lock™

If you like the Alpine White Tribute Kiloton, check with the G&L Dealer(s) you would be ordering from and see if they still have 2017 stock.

I will contact one of my G&L contacts to verify that the current Tribute Kiloton comes in Olympic White instead of Alpine White and have them
make the necessary corrections on their website.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks Craig, this is of great help!

Cheers,
Andreas