NGD - Tribute Doheny

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:18 am

Picked this up a few weeks back, in Lake Placid Blue, and although it was in dire need of a setup, it’s proving to be absolutely great.

Re: NGD - Tribute Doheny

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:41 am

Looks great- between this and the LPB SC2 posted not long ago, I feel the need to refinish one of my Telecasters; gorgeous color.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:59 am

Hey guitarsammy,

Sweet looking gitar ya got there. I am usually not a big fan of block inlays but man those look great against that blue body.

Play her loud and often. :thumbup:

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Man, I really dig that! Now if they only made them in lefty...

HNGD!

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:21 am

Welecome Guitarsammy! LPB looks so great on offsets and block inlays are sweet!
Cheers, Dan

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:21 am

That sure looks good !!

Sat May 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Still playing this - and still really enjoying it. It's quality is far higher than the price would suggest.

Played a friend's Japanese Fender Jazzmaster recently and it didn't compare. Horrible electronics, very thin sounding pickups, and the tremolo just feels spongey, rattly and badly made compared with the G&L trem.

Definitely feels like a keeper now. And it's required no modifications at all. Hardware, electronics and pickups are top-notch.

Once the tremolo has been set up properly (plenty of advice online on this), and broken in a little, it keeps tune *exceptionally* well.

Sat May 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Awesome guitar! I personally love the block inlays, and think they look especially good on the Doheny. After a setup and maybe a bit of fret work I have no doubt your guitar could hang with a USA. G&L should start cheaping out on those Tributes or else they'll eat into their own USA sales :) .

Sat May 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Awesome guitar! I personally love the block inlays, and think they look especially good on the Doheny. After a setup and maybe a bit of fret work I have no doubt your guitar could hang with a USA. G&L should start cheaping out on those Tributes or else they'll eat into their own USA sales :) .

You're totally right. It certainly feels as good an instrument as most USA Fenders I’ve played.

Does anyone know, are the hardware/pickups in the Tribute Doheny the same as the US model?

Sat May 18, 2019 3:20 pm

I believe they are identical designs just manufactured in Indonesia vs the USA. The bridge may be a different metal but I doubt it would have a material impact on tone and zero impact on playability. Ultimately Tributes are the best value in guitars. They are pretty darn sweet!

Sat May 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Someone posted a pretty thorough comparison on a different forum:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... lit=Doheny

Sun May 19, 2019 7:54 am

guitarsammy wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Awesome guitar! I personally love the block inlays, and think they look especially good on the Doheny. After a setup and maybe a bit of fret work I have no doubt your guitar could hang with a USA. G&L should start cheaping out on those Tributes or else they'll eat into their own USA sales :) .

You're totally right. It certainly feels as good an instrument as most USA Fenders I’ve played.

Does anyone know, are the hardware/pickups in the Tribute Doheny the same as the US model?

The pickups are MFD pickups and are built at the Fullerton, CA factory and sent to the Cort factory for the Tribute Doheny model. See: Note About G&L Tribute Series Guitar Pickups.

For info on the hardware, see this post: Re: Are the new ASAT Special Bridges made in the USA?.

Both reference posts are located in the G&L Knowledgebase forum.

Hope this helps.

Please do add your Tribute Doheny to our G&L Registry.