NGD Tribby ASAT Carved Top P90

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Howdy campers, (got my picture dilemma fixed so I can catch up on G&L business!) :elguitar054:

The brown truck came by last month, and the P90 bug got me this time. Craig's suggestion from previous post also helped. :evilgrin: Been looking at these Tribby ASAT Carved Top P90 for a while, and this one found its way to me. Bought unseen and untouched on fleabay.

Everything basically checked out ok, maybe de-ox the knobs a bit but no surprises upon arrival. I like the orange finish, especially with white P90 covers. The neck is a little chunkier than one I tried in a GC, but not a deal killer. My only P90 comparison is an ASAT Bluesboy P90 so all P90's is the next step.

After short check these pups sound sweet. Just enough crunch and clean that is not too shrill. Will get a better feel for these as I play it more, but I can hear some Social Distortion or Leslie West begging to be played. :evilgrin:

It doesn't exist without pics so here goes:

If yer thinking about P90's and can find one of these for a good price give her try, ya may like it.

Re: NGD Tribby ASAT Carved Top P90

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 am

Love me some Social D! The binding is real classy and I like how it matches the pickup covers. I've only tried P90s once when I took my daughter shopping for hollow body guitar. I thought for sure the Epiphone Wildkat would be right size and tone (I felt a 335 would be too big for her). Ended but getting her the ES-339. She like the tone of the 339 better and it is still fairly close to the size of LP. I had the same impression, and told afterward that I thought she picked the right one. I was expecting a bit more clarity / definition from the wildcat, but it just seemed lifeless to the HB in the ES-339. The HB also sound pretty good split.

I'll have to give P90's another try.

Congratulations Sam, the Special looks a lot better in your pictures that the advertisements. Now I'm going to have to listen to some Social D on the way home this afternoon!

Cheers,
Dan

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks Dan.

Tell me more about the ES-339, those and ES-335's have always intrigued me since seeing Ted Nugent years ago.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 am

The Epiphone ES-335 Pro is a heck of a deal. I got an open boxed one from MF for under 350 and it's legit.

I always liked the look of that ASAT model. Seems like G&L doesn't have as many Tribute exclusive models like they used to (Ascaris, P90 ASATS, etc).

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am

Sam, very great acquisition. I go the P90 bug just like you a year ago and ended up with a Tribute Fallout. It took a bit of work to get the setup the way I want, and since then I have played it quite a bit. What I conclude is that I love the P90 on the Fallout, it turned out to be a really sweet sound that I don't find on any of my other guitars. I wonder if the Fallout P90 is the same as you have on your ASAT, I kind of doubt it. But it would be great to hear a side-by-side comparison.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 am

mike and kit thanks!

kit, they look the same

ASAT trib P90's and Ascari:

G&L AP42105CR P-90 single coil (42 gauge-10.5K turns)
Bridge position of Tribute Ascari GT90, Bridge position of Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90

G&L AP4285CR P-90 single coil (42 gauge-8.5K turns) Neck position of Tribute Ascari GT90, Neck position of Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carved Top P-90

Fallout P90's:

G&L AP4285B P-90 single coil (42 gauge-8.5K turns) Neck position of Tribute Fallout, Neck position of Tribute ASAT Junior II, Neck pickup of ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 (7/2015), Neck pickup of ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 Semi-Hollow (7/2015), Neck pickup of Fallout (7/2015)

G&L AW4470B Alnico humbucker (44 gauge-7K turns) Bridge position of Tribute Fallout, Bridge position of U.S. Fallout (7/2015), Bridge position of U.S. Invader (7/2015), Bridge position of U.S. Invader XL (7/2015), Bridge position of U.S. Invader Plus (7/2015), Bridge position of U.S. Invader HH (7/2015), Bridge position of U.S. Invader HSS (7/2015), Bridge position of U.S. ASAT Deluxe models (3/2016), Bridge position of Legacy HSS (7/2015), Bridge position of Legacy HSS RMC, Bridge position of Legacy HH RMC, Bridge position of ASAT HH RMC

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:04 pm

Congrats !! .. The Tribby's are nice buys

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

sam wrote:Thanks Dan.

Tell me more about the ES-339, those and ES-335's have always intrigued me since seeing Ted Nugent years ago.

I really like the ES-339. It is basically ES-335 in smaller body, closer to the size of a LP. I like the smaller size. It keeps the weight down even more and I find it more comfortable to play. In the Epiphone series both the ES-339 Pro and ES-335 Pro use the same pickups. For each one,, both pickup have their own volume and tone control. Both Bridge and neck are splitable. The volume balance is good between the bridge and neck pickups. The neck pickup isn't too dark. I usually find HB too dark in the neck position. The pickup sound respectable in single coil mode. Though when I play it, I primarily stick with HB mode. The tone is very LP to me. Mid focused and crunch when pushing the preamp. Body wood I believe is the same - laminate maple. Both have mahogany necks 24.75" scale. I believe both use Pau Ferro for the finger board. The neck is fairly thin but wide with a very generous D shape. I've never tried a SG, but it way it feels is the way I've heard SG necks described. I find it less fatiguing on the hand when playing a lot of bar chords. I think it is because my thumb contact more of the back of the neck so that the median contact point is closer to base of thumb causing less bending moment on the joint - at least that is my theory. If I had to some it up:

1. Les Paul type tone
2. Lighter weight
3. Very comfortable Slim wide D neck (I like the neck on the 339 better than the LPs I've tried that felt bulky as all...).
4. Smaller size make ergonomics more favorable for smaller player. I think I'd find a 335 uncomfortable sitting down. 339 small enough to play sitting down.
5. Versatile with individual controls and splitable configurations.
6. What aesthetics you prefer... My daughter just really prefers that hollow body f-hole violin style of design. Depending what you like can be a + or a -

If I was in the market for a Gibson type hollow body, a 339 would probably be first on my list.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:48 am

I purchased a Gibson ES-339 about a year after they were released and have never regretted it. Mine has 59 humbuckers that really sing and clean up nicely. I wanted a 335 for ages but when I saw the 339 something just clicked. It's beautiful packaging of a classic design.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 am

Man you guys are giving me GAS for a ES-339 but funds just went somewhere else. hint hint :elguitar054:

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 am

sam wrote:Man you guys are giving me GAS for a ES-339 but funds just went somewhere else. hint hint :elguitar054:

:signs009:

I read this thread last week, and was looking hard at a local used Epiphone 339 within the hour. My wife was quick to point out (disapprovingly) that the dust had yet to settle on the new ASAT trib. spec. I bought a few weeks back now... Sigh...