What's the weight on an S-500 Tribute?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Been thinking of upgrading from my Squier Strat, which seems on the light side. I don't mind that so much. I did make the mistake of buying a Guild/DeArmond M75T earlier this year. Weighed a ton, kept sliding off my lap. Had to use a strap when sitting down and ultimately I sold it.

Re: What's the weight on an S-500 Tribute?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:42 am

Digital Larry wrote:Been thinking of upgrading from my Squier Strat, which seems on the light side. I don't mind that so much. I did make the mistake of buying a Guild/DeArmond M75T earlier this year. Weighed a ton, kept sliding off my lap. Had to use a strap when sitting down and ultimately I sold it.

I'm surprised that they don't list the weight under specifications, but it can't be overly heavy. If you read the reviews on Musician's Friend, at least one of the "pros" is that it is lightweight. I have a Tribute Legacy which should be about the same, and it is not overly heavy. I'm sure that someone on here could tell you the actual weight though.

David

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:28 am

I think that the weight varies considerably, at least on the US guitars. I have a Legacy Special, and a Comanche, and they are probably a couple pounds different.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:00 am

Innnnteresting... I did read someone saying that a swamp ash model was "heavy", but the Tributes are all mahogany AFAICT. Too bad there's not one in a shop nearby. Well I'm probably going to buy one anyway. Thanks!

[edit] - Googling (I use Duckduckgo actually, so "Duckduckgo'ing") "swamp ash vs. mahogany" returns a ton of guitar forum posts that are treasure troves of "toan wood" lore lacking much in the way of objective info. My favorite was the comparison between the sound of a swamp ash Strat to Angus Young's Mahogany SG, as clearly they are identical other than the wood used! :happy0007:

This page at least tries... rough estimate swamp ash = 30 lbs/ft^3 and mahogany slightly heavier at 37 lbs/ft^3.

http://www.fbbcustom.com/woodstar/woods.html