Which G&L Tribute do I need?

Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:30 am

I've been looking for a new guitar for a while, and have sort of settled on a G&L Tribute, largely for their reputedly unrivalled quality at their price point. What I can't decide is which guitar I need.

My only guitar at present is a Tokai ES 335 copy loaded with Alnico II humbuckers. Essentially, I'd like a guitar that complements the 335 (so, in many ways, something that's the opposite of it sonically-speaking):

- Single coil pickups (the 335 has a warm, dark tone so I'd like something 'glassy' sounding;
- Probably a tremolo, as my 335 doesn't have one.

I mainly play 'experimental' music with quite a lot of reverbs and delays. Mainly clean.

At the moment, I'm sort of torn between the Legacy and the S500 and can't decide between the two. Which do you guys think would be the bigger departure from my 335? From what I've read, the S500's pickups are somewhere between single coil and humbucker in sound, so I'm thinking the Legacy might be the better option?

The other option would be to forget the tremolo (I wouldn't use it a huge amount anyway) and that then opens up the world of ASATs and Fallouts. I've had Teles in the past, so the ASAT would be familiar to me in terms of its shape, but I'm concerned those pickups won't be what I'm looking for (much like the S500).

The Fallout is, to me, the 'best-looking' of the current crop of G&L Tribute guitars. However, with its humbucker, P90 and mahogany body, I'm not sure it'll be on the warm/dark/crunchy side and therefore too close to my 335 in sound.

Re: Which G&L Tribute do I need?

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 am

I love my Comanche. For me it provides a killer combination of single coil bite, and noiseless operation.

If you're thinking ASAT, I also love the large MFD pickup on the ASAT Special.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:27 am

The polar opposite of what you have is the Legacy.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 am

I will always stand by the Rampage over any other G&L guitar... not because Jerry Cantrell plays one but, because it's a bare bones, no nonsense Superstrat. One single Seymour Duncan JB TB4 pup, a Kahler Pro Series 2320 trem system, Floyd Rose locking nut, and a single 500K volume control. I don't need a lot of knobs and switches, bells and whistles. However,... I have owned the Jerry Cantrell Tribute Ramage previously to buying my US Cantrell Rampage. I sent the tribute model back because I just wasn't happy with it. I bought the tribute thinking I'd be getting a great guitar for the price, but I trust the US models more, that's just me. I would buy another Tribute Rampage but only as something of a backup guitar to beat around on and make adjustments to before making them on my US Rampage.... I hope you find a Tribute model guitar that you're happy with... post some pics for us when you get it !

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:30 pm

I'd say Legacy, possibly an HSS version. IMO, Strat-type guitars are ideal for textured playing with lots of reverb and delay. The Comanche is great, but the neck pickup doesn't quite get the glassy twang of a Strat/Legacy neck pickup. If you don't care about that, then it's a fantastic option.