Fallout model, neck joint/heel upper fret access?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am

Hello all
This question I would think applies to both American and Tribute Fallout. I've read a review or two where it was noted the neck joint/heel area makes it a bit more difficult to access higher register notes and one reviewer says from the 12th fret on. Now I don't know if that is a bit nit picking or if valid in some ways. Not long ago I bought a Tribute ASAT Classic BSB and while it's a T-Type single cut I really have no issues with fret access. So in comparing the two is there anything about the Fallout neck/heel design I should be aware or concerned about? I know the Fallout isn't a shredder axe and I am pretty informed of the specs on paper and it checks most the boxes I am after. No dealer even close to me and I was lucky to play a used G&L Tele locally but passed because of the price for the condition of the guitar so I bought new online. The necks do feel comparable so no big surprise there. I am really enjoying my new guitar in many ways so hope I can get some response to this thread

Re: Fallout model, neck joint/heel upper fret access?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:00 pm

It's fine , it will be like the ASAT ... they were being real picky but quite a few Guitar makers are trimming the neck joint down for easier access but it's nill on a 22 fret guitar

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Never had any issues on any of my of G&L's, SC/Fallout body or otherwise. G&L's pocket extends to the 22nd fret, the neck heel begins at the 17th fret. The only shaved heel guitar I have is my Jazzblaster- the pocket only goes to the 21st fret, top of the heel starts on the 16th fret.

Leo was thinking- more material for a better sustain between the neck and body wood AND more comfortable access to the upper frets, no heel sculpting needed.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. I might as well present the source of the claim "Overall, the guitar is well set up; however, the design of the heel is quite chunky, so access up past the 18th fret is somewhat restricted" and "Look elsewhere for super-fast widdling up past the 12th fret – but otherwise this is a great go-anywhere guitar."
It was from this online review
http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/gear/gl-tribute-series-fallout-review/

Guitar World and Music Radar don't mention any of this so I am thinking that review above is somewhat skewed by someone that goes for the contoured heel etc. Now I admit
I have owned and played guitars with this kind of access and also Double cuts and have gravitated toward them, but now after all these years it is not as important to me.
My Les Paul and new ASAT Classic Tribute are easy enough to hit notes I require with enough ease so that's good for me. That reviewer seemed to indicate some quirky going on and in the pics I've viewed I just don't see it. That said I have watched many a video of the Tribute or USA Fallout and see other players riffing just fine. I also don't judge from many Guitar mags but a general consensus from other players be it in person or on forums. I like to give back by sharing my own experiences so see a future with more G&L's and great discussions

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:27 am

LE-2 is based off the Fallout and I have no issues with access to higher frets - though I admit I rarely spend much time about the 18th fret anyways. But when I do, it hasn't been an issue.