G&l Tribute Rampage or Tribute Superhawk?

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:05 am

Hi, I have 2 Rampage's. They are my favorite. I've had a Cort les paul type guitar, an Ibanez RG, 2 Fender Strats and 2 Fender Teles. But ended up selling all of those and bought a 1985 Red Rampage (which is my baby and I won't sell ever), and a tribute black rampage. I love them both, but the lack of the second pickup always intrigues me.

To be honest, I'm not a big lead player, I'm more of a rythm player, so the Rampage has always fulfilled all my needs. It has the best sustain ever, incredibly nice grawl with a Seymour Duncan JB (both of them have JB's), the best feel for a fingerboard (I love ebony boards), etc.

But then I saw that Ivory Superhawk and it was love at first sight. I mean, it's the same wood construction, the pickups can be changed (eventhough people say that they sound similar to JB's, at least in the neck position). My only concern is the sustain the Kahler tremolo gives. I'm not a huge whammy player, but the combination of the woods, the kahler tremolo and only 1 humbucker gives it a really nice sustain.

I can't afford to have more than 2 guitars, I don't even have too much time to play, and I won't sell the 1985 Red Rampage ever.

My question here is: Do you people know if it changes a lot the sound and the sustain with the fixed bridge instead of a kahler tremolo? Do anybode has those guitars? Do you recomend me to change the tribute rampage for the tribute Superhawk? It would be nice to have the second pickup, but I don't want to lose that type of sustain and grawl the Rampage has. Pretty much I want to know if the Superhawk has that tone like the Rampage.

Thanks for everything, and sorry for my bad English (I'm Mexican by the way).

Re: G&l Tribute Rampage or Tribute Superhawk?

Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 am

raga80 wrote:Hi, I have 2 Rampage's. They are my favorite. I've had a Cort les paul type guitar, an Ibanez RG, 2 Fender Strats and 2 Fender Teles. But ended up selling all of those and bought a 1985 Red Rampage (which is my baby and I won't sell ever), and a tribute black rampage. I love them both, but the lack of the second pickup always intrigues me.

To be honest, I'm not a big lead player, I'm more of a rythm player, so the Rampage has always fulfilled all my needs. It has the best sustain ever, incredibly nice grawl with a Seymour Duncan JB (both of them have JB's), the best feel for a fingerboard (I love ebony boards), etc.

But then I saw that Ivory Superhawk and it was love at first sight. I mean, it's the same wood construction, the pickups can be changed (eventhough people say that they sound similar to JB's, at least in the neck position). My only concern is the sustain the Kahler tremolo gives. I'm not a huge whammy player, but the combination of the woods, the kahler tremolo and only 1 humbucker gives it a really nice sustain.

I can't afford to have more than 2 guitars, I don't even have too much time to play, and I won't sell the 1985 Red Rampage ever.

My question here is: Do you people know if it changes a lot the sound and the sustain with the fixed bridge instead of a kahler tremolo? Do anybode has those guitars? Do you recomend me to change the tribute rampage for the tribute Superhawk? It would be nice to have the second pickup, but I don't want to lose that type of sustain and grawl the Rampage has. Pretty much I want to know if the Superhawk has that tone like the Rampage.

Thanks for everything, and sorry for my bad English (I'm Mexican by the way).

Welcome to our site! :wave:

Check out this page on the main G&L website: Tribute Superhawk™ Jerry Cantrell and take a look and listen to the video demo there.
The G&L Saddle-Lock bridge, designed by Leo Fender to increase the sustain is great. Here's a link to check out: G&L Saddle-Lock bridge.

Hope this helps.

PS- If you have not yet registered your 1985 Rampage in our G&L Registry, please do so.

:ugeek: