Comanche Tribute - black the only option?

Mon May 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Is black on black the only option that was ever offered for Comanche Tribute models, or better, is it possible the color scheme might rotate in the future? (IE Can one in a better from the past be found used?)

I'd like to try one, but can't afford a USA model, and the black-on-black underwhelms me.

Re: Comanche Tribute - black the only option?

Mon May 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi FD6,

The colors on the Tributes change from time to time. No rhyme or reason that I can detect.

Take care,

edg

Mon May 29, 2017 3:39 pm

FluffyDog6 wrote:Is black on black the only option that was ever offered for Comanche Tribute models, or better, is it possible the color scheme might rotate in the future? (IE Can one in a better from the past be found used?)

I'd like to try one, but can't afford a USA model, and the black-on-black underwhelms me.

Yes, Gloss Black on Mahogany body only since 2012.
See these posts in our G&L Knowledgebase: History of the Tribute Comanche?.
July 1, 2015-present Tribute Series Production Models....

You might try the used market for both Tribute and USA models.

Hope this helps. :ugeek:

Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 pm

How much different does the Commanche sound than the S-500, beyond the hum cancelling?

Wed May 31, 2017 7:11 am

FluffyDog6 wrote:How much different does the Commanche sound than the S-500, beyond the hum cancelling?

See these posts in our G&L Knowledgebase:
Comanches For Dummies Redux by BoogieBill
How do Z-Coils compare to S-500 MFD pups?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Wed May 31, 2017 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:54 am

Looking at those links, I get the impression the Comanche has a similar tonal profile and power to the S500, just not susceptible to noise. Would that be a correct assumption?

I purchased an used S500 Tribute and really love the guitar, but playing at church, it is picking up a lot of buzz and whine from the LED power supplies they have all over the stage.

I'd like to stick with the neck profile, pickup power, and PTB controls. There is no where local to try one out so mail order is my only way to buy, so I'm confused.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:01 am

Fluffy dog,

One thing you can try is to shield your pickup cavity by putting copper tape on the inside of the pickguard, and around the control cavity. This won't eliminate the buzz entirely, but will help.

I think that this demo posted in the link is a pretty good representation of the different pickups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSE0dgHRWPc

The Comanche pickups aren't quite as bright and sparkly as the S-500, but have a little more "heft" or mid range, which works well for dirt tones. Your guitar should accommodate the Z-coil pickups (assuming you have a swimming pool route). You can pick up a set of zinc Z-coils on the G&L store for $99, and get a Comanche pickguard for ~$50 from pickguard heaven. And, you could always go back to your stock setup.

Good luck!

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Craig wrote:
FluffyDog6 wrote:Is black on black the only option that was ever offered for Comanche Tribute models, or better, is it possible the color scheme might rotate in the future? (IE Can one in a better from the past be found used?)

Yes, Gloss Black on Mahogany body only since 2012.
See these posts in our G&L Knowledgebase: History of the Tribute Comanche?.
July 1, 2015-present Tribute Series Production Models....

You might try the used market for both Tribute and USA models.

Hope this helps. :ugeek:

I recently got the latest version of the Tribute Series Price List (dated August 1, 2017) and see that the Comanche body finish has been changed to Olympic White.
See: August 1, 2017-present Tribute Series Production Models.
Note that the G&L's main web site does not yet reflect the changes of the new Price Lists (Tribute and U.S.).

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:54 am

That is exactly how I felt when I began looking for a Comanche a few months back.

As someone who prefers maple tops, and premium finishes, I was put off by the fact that I was unable to buy a stock Tribute Comanche in any other finish than black. Also, all aesthetics aside, I don't believe that solid mahogany has the same tonal quality/resonance as a maple top over swamp ash. To me solid mahogany sounds darker than maple over ash. It might be all in my head, but since it's my head, it matters to me. ;)

Anyway, I hunted for months before finding a minty 2008 Tribute Comanche on eBay - and when I found it, I bought it in a heart beat. There were plenty of Black Comanches available, in as good or new condition, but they were all, to use your word, underwhelming to me.

I know I would never have been as satisfied with one of the "run of the mill" black ones.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 am

This tribute white Comanche has me interested in one again. I've owned a couple of the black tributes and never really like the finish nor the craftsmanship. I like G&Ls and especially the value of the tributes, but I always found the quality to be a little overblown on them. I've owned probably 6 or 7 of them and they were fine for the price, but always had one issue or another. Shim a neck here. Sharp frets there. I think PRS has really upped the ante for overseas guitars. I have a couple of their 2017 Korean made imports and they are fantastic. G&L is still a great value, but man those Korean made PRS' are the real deal. Plus I don't think there's a ton of overlap in the styles and specs of the guitars. G&L has some 2 HB offerings obviously, but PRS doesn't really do the single coil thing. Wow okay end of tangent.