Newbie - just bought a 2003 Korean ASAT Classic

Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Hey Guys. I found this page looking for info on a the tribute model asat classic.
Anyway I bought it and got it home tonight. Its in pretty rough shape but for $200 canadian I couldnt go wrong, right?
It didn't have strings so I couldnt try it. (the guy had bought it to fix up and didnt get around to it) So I got it home and plugged it in sans strings. Has a real bad output jack and someone had really made a mess of the wiring resulting in terrible buzzing and popping and terrible world-is-ending sounds.

Anyhow, long story short, took it all apart, got a look at the mess of solder, and the tone pot that had, at some point in time been taken apart, pots wired bass-ackwards ad nauseum. Broke out the soldering gun and started in. I managed to cobble it back together and put the 5 strings on it that had come in the case (missing the b).

I have had a good few teles in the past, mostly cheap knockoffs. Right now I have a squire classic vibe 50's, a Korean Tokai '52, and an American Special with Fender American vintage 52 neck and bridge with an Emerson Custom 4 way switch. My amp is a Blues deluxe reissue.

So i plug the Tribute into the amp and turn it on.....wow!! I'm seriously impressed. This thing has all the tone!! And it ain't half setup yet

I bought this guitar with the intentions of putting the Texas Specials and wiring I removed from the american special in. That isnt going to happen now.
Im gonna try the pots and wiring in it tomorrow (the greasebucket which I didnt care for in the tele) but failing that may leave it stock .

I guess thats a long post for a newcomer but im excited. I know it isnt the usa model but it is a killer.

Thanks
Justin

PS how would i insert a couple photos. Thanks

Re: Newbie - just bought a 2003 Korean ASAT Classic

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Welcome Justin! :greet:

Glad you found our site, and if you have not seen this post it should help you traverse it: Welcome! Read This First.

To post photos, see: Tutorial: Posting photos.
And don't forget to add your Tribute ASAT Classic to ourG&L Registry.

Looking forward to seeing your G&L.

:ugeek:

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks Craig. Will do.

I just put a couple photos in the gallery. Im a sucker for the 'vintage' and reissue stuff.

2003 was the first year for the Korean tributes right?

Cant wait to get it setup and playing, it breaks up my BDRI real nice. None of my other teles do that. Its a fat, full, and big sound. Love it.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:48 pm

haha figured out the image posting.....I think

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 pm

a couple more of the dirty parts

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Congrats on finding a cool axe. Looks nice. I have some USA G&Ls and a 2013 Tribute Bluesboy that I recently picked up used, and I was very impressed with the Tribute's quality of craftsmanship, finish and sound. I'm fairly sure that the USA G&L pickups are used in the Tributes, but someone else can verify that.

JT

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks. I think its a sweet guitar.
Played with it a bit today. Replaced the jack, so no more rattley scratchedy bang bang.
Im goingto have to replace the pots I believe. The volume doesn't kick in at all until about 1/4 turn. The tone pot seems to turn it all to mush at the lowest 1/4 turn, and the low E seems to be way louder than everything else under almost all settings. (but it does have that nice spank that I like)

Had planned on replacing it all with the grease bucket circuitry pulled from my usa tele, but didnt actually do it.
Just might try it tomorrow, just to see if everything balances out a bit. Then if that works and i like the sound I may just keep it in there; if I dont like it, I'll replace everything with some good quality parts in a more traditional wiring setup.

Very happy so far despite the bugs in it. I should say that the wiring was/is pretty messed up. ie bad soldering, cheap wire, looks as though the pickup leads were replaced at some point, and not well done. The pots and switch look cheap, and need to be changed regardless.