Tribute Legacy Bridge and other Problems

Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:53 am

I just got a new-ish Tribute Legacy and immediately noticed that there is significant friction where the bridge plate meets the lower post. It squeaks terribly, and worse, prevents the bridge from returning to level after using the trem bar. Even just resting my hand on the bridge during playing causes it to move out of neutral, and it doesn't go back until I re-tune. The same squeaking happens when I turn the bridge post, so I'm confident that's where the issue is. Needless to say, the thing is pretty much useless in this condition.

It appears to me to be a manufacturing defect, but since it was purchased originally about a year ago and I am the second owner, I am very doubtful any warranty would cover this. My purchase was based upon the seller's description of the guitar as "mint" and "unplayed" condition.

Further, I also noticed that it came with a satin finish neck and had "Tribute" on the headstock, while many other of the same model I saw on eBay had the nice lacquered neck and had only "Legacy" printed on the headstock, though all are made in Indonesia. I enjoy the lacquer finish much more than the satin finish, and I'm wondering if what I received is one of the models made specifically for guitar center. Not only does the neck feel cheaper than I had hoped, it buzzes terribly. All the way up the high E string, most of the B string, G up to the 5th fret or so. The guitar did change altitude significantly, so I'm willing to let the neck settle a bit, but I'm concerned about the possibility of the frets being uneven and needing to be dressed right out of the box.

There also appeared to be damage to the nut, which seemed quite out of place on a guitar that appeared otherwise completely unplayed.

All of these combined give me a distinct impression of poor workmanship on this instrument, despite G&L's excellent reputation. I hate to return this guitar to the seller, but I do need a professional quality instrument, and this does not appear to meet that benchmark. Supposedly unplayed, it's already got a bridge issue, nut damage, fret buzz, rough fret edges...Frankly, this guitar feels like a $500 Squier. Did I purchase one of the Guitar Center models when I could have gotten a superior model for the same price? Is this experience normal?

Re: Tribute Legacy Bridge and other Problems

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:53 pm

It sounds like the guitar might have been damaged in transit or the previous owner had no idea at all what he was doing with that guitar. It's most probable that every single adjustment of the DFV and neck relief that could be buggered up has been. Send it back or do a correct set up which should in this case include the inspection of the DFV posts and bridge plate pivot surfaces. The setup info is available on this site and i'm quite sure you will like what the result provides if all is done to the book. :) Good luck with it and have a great new year

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:07 pm

geoff douglas wrote:It sounds like the guitar might have been damaged in transit or the previous owner had no idea at all what he was doing with that guitar. It's most probable that every single adjustment of the DFV and neck relief that could be buggered up has been. Send it back or do a correct set up which should in this case include the inspection of the DFV posts and bridge plate pivot surfaces. The setup info is available on this site and i'm quite sure you will like what the result provides if all is done to the book. :) Good luck with it and have a great new year

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've pretty much decided to send it back and look for something else. After typing up my post I realized that this instrument's workmanship is irredeemably poor. There's just no good reason I or the original seller should have to spend as much on repairs as the guitar itself. If it ends up needing a new bridge, fret work, and a new nut, that's gonna be several hundred dollars right off the bat, which is entirely unacceptable for a factory new instrument.

I'm at a loss as to what could have caused the nut damage. When I got the guitar it's strings had been slacked completely, and since the guitar was supposedly not played, I assumed that was how it left the factory. Perhaps the original owner tried to string some 13s on it or something.

And the quality of the neck was honestly just a disappointment. While I can't say for sure that the gloss necks are of any higher quality, the satin finish just feels cheap and collects dirt. I put maybe 4 hours of playing into it and the fretboard was already gunking up. The guitar really does feel like a bargain bin Fender/Squier, and I went with G&L specifically to get something a notch above that.

I fully expected the guitar to require a setup, since it went from Illinois to Denver, but the whole combination of issues is simply too much to deal with for an instrument that was described as "mint" condition. If this is "mint" for a Tribute series, they must have godawful quality control. It would have taken only a cursory inspection to spot these issues, which could and should have been done before it ever went to a customer. I don't blame my seller, and I feel bad that he's probably going to be stuck with an unusable guitar, since it's likely too old to claim warranty repairs.

I'm sure the American G&Ls are as good as ever, but I'm afraid this experience has really soured me on the Tribute series.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:07 am

cdg wrote:Frankly, this guitar feels like a $500 Squier.

Perhaps not that surprising - I believe the Tribute models are now made in the same factory (Cort / Cor-Tek) in Indonesia as the cheapest Squiers.

I think sending it back probably sounds like the best option for you; if you need a true pro quality instrument, wait it out for a used made in USA G&L to show up here/Craigslist/eBay/your local used guitar gear store. My (cosmetically well worn but near indestructable) Leo-era SC-3 was picked up second hand for just $400 USD.

Second hand ASAT/Legacy models are incredible bargains as the resale just doesn't seem to be there compared to the big F.

Just my $0.02, good luck with it.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:05 am

From your initial post, it sounds like you perhaps didn't know that the Tribute models were made overseas. The guitars with just "Legacy" on the headstock are U.S. models that list for many times the price of the Tributes. Personally, I would return that guitar. My experience with G&L Tribute instruments has been mixed. I have a Tribute ASAT Jr. II that is a great guitar, has a gloss tint neck, and its construction and finish rival the U.S. G&Ls that I own. When I got it it buzzed on low E, second fret. G&L offered to take care of it, but I had my luthier replace the nut and work on the frets. It was worth spending the money on and is a great guitar.

I purchased a Tribute Legacy HB on-line from a G&L premier dealer. It looked cheap, had some cosmetic issues, and sounded thin. It went straight back. Nothing could be done that would make that guitar something I would enjoy playing. Satin finish necks are a personal preference. I have a satin finish neck on a U.S. G&L that is awesome to play. The Tribute Legacy I mentioned above came with a satin finish neck that felt unfinished and was uncomfortable to me.

Reading posts on this board, most people have had positive experiences with Tribute instruments. I have been one for two. I would buy another without reservation as long as the seller had a good return policy, and I wouldn't keep it if it had significant issues. Good luck.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks for the input. Yeah I knew they were overseas, but the models I had tried in stores felt more playable, and I'm not sure what accounts for that difference. Maybe just the gloss vs satin finish. I also gig in Colorado, anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000+ feet, so the thicker finish is good for preventing intonation issues when traveling.

After looking into the issue quite a bit the last couple days, I did find a few Indonesia models on eBay that lacked the Tribute sticker, and flipped frantically through the photos in the ads in case they were American models somehow selling for $400. But they had the Indonesia stamp on the back. It was only a couple I found, so maybe they did a run of Indonesia instruments before deciding to spin them off into their own sub-brand. I had hoped the Tribute series was more like the MIM Fenders, and less like Squier (also dismayed to see Squier logos creeping up into Fender's mid-range price guitars).

Guess I'll just have to save up for the real deal American model. Maybe one of those beautiful semi-hollow ASATS will show up next Christmas!

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 am

If you're talking about a big "TRIBUTE" decal on the headstock instead of a small "Tribute Series" under the G&L logo, that's one of the first Tribbies. IIRC, the decal was changed after a year or so.

Ken

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:57 am

I have a Squier Telecaster and the Trubute Legacy I didn't like was a far superior guitar to the Squier.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:44 pm

cdg wrote:I had hoped the Tribute series was more like the MIM Fenders

They used to be...when they were being made in the Korean factory, which I believe Cor-Tek shut down to lower their operating costs - I don't believe there was ever a resultant drop in price to customers, go figure! :)

Having said that, if you ever see a Made in Japan 'Tribute' model from the brief run they did before starting mass production in Korea, you should definitely try it out. Mine (an ASAT Classic) is a better guitar in every way than the top dollar Fenders I tried out the same day I bought it, including Custom Shop instruments.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:24 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
cdg wrote:I had hoped the Tribute series was more like the MIM Fenders

They used to be...when they were being made in the Korean factory, which I believe Cor-Tek shut down to lower their operating costs - I don't believe there was ever a resultant drop in price to customers, go figure! :)

Having said that, if you ever see a Made in Japan 'Tribute' model from the brief run they did before starting mass production in Korea, you should definitely try it out. Mine (an ASAT Classic) is a better guitar in every way than the top dollar Fenders I tried out the same day I bought it, including Custom Shop instruments.

See:What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003? and Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes?.
The Tribute Series Made in Japan are still made there and are only sold for the Japanese market, see: Serial number significance.

:ugeek:

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Sorry Craig, do you mean to say that there are still G&L 'Tribute Series' instruments being made in Japan today?

I am (pleasantly) surprised to hear that's the case if so.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:30 pm

andy_tchp wrote:Sorry Craig, do you mean to say that there are still G&L 'Tribute Series' instruments being made in Japan today?

I asked Dave McLaren about this and here is his reply:

Hi Craig,

Happy New Year to you too!

At present there is no production in Japan as the range is being reevaluated by our new Japan distributor which officially began December 1st.
It may be a few months before more is known.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

I will followup once more is known.

Hope this helps.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:30 am

Craig wrote:
andy_tchp wrote:Sorry Craig, do you mean to say that there are still G&L 'Tribute Series' instruments being made in Japan today?

I asked Dave McLaren about this and here is his reply:

Hi Craig,

Happy New Year to you too!

At present there is no production in Japan as the range is being reevaluated by our new Japan distributor which officially began December 1st.
It may be a few months before more is known.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

I will followup once more is known.

Hope this helps.

I did a follow up on this with Dave to find out if Tribute Series production has started up again in Japan.
Here's his reply:

Hi Craig,

It has not. For now the distributor is focusing on Fullerton and Indonesia Tribute.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:45 am

cdg wrote:I just got a new-ish Tribute Legacy and immediately noticed that there is significant friction where the bridge plate meets the lower post. It squeaks terribly, and worse, prevents the bridge from returning to level after using the trem bar...Supposedly unplayed, it's already got a bridge issue, nut damage, fret buzz, rough fret edges...Frankly, this guitar feels like a $500 Squier. Did I purchase one of the Guitar Center models when I could have gotten a superior model for the same price? Is this experience normal?

Sounds like you ran into an ignorant or unethical eBay seller. Your experience is NOT normal. Tribute series instruments are typically on compare with Fender MIM or even American Deluxe, depending on the instrument. Did you get this matter resolved?