Got a great deal on a used Tribute yesterday

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 pm

I have 2 USA G&Ls, and love them, and never paid much attention to the Tribute models until I ran across this used ASAT at my local dealer yesterday. It wasn't marked as a Bluesboy, but I guess that's what it is. As I looked it over and played it a little, I was very impressed with the craftsmanship and finish. Then I plugged it in, and was very impressed with the sound. My dealer said that the pickups are the same USA pickups that are used on USA models, so that explained the sound quality. It has a nice mellow tone compared to an original vintage twangy Tele, which I already have, so it adds a nice different tone color to my collection.

So this was made in April, 2013, and is nearly like new. Practically zero fret wear. I offered $100 less than the asking price, and he came down 75. Needless to say, it was a great deal that I couldn't pass up. I really like the high gloss neck, and the 1 5/8" nut width which matches up with my other 2 G&Ls, one of which I custom ordered to vintage nut and radius specs. The neck has nice fretwork and a nice vintage feel, which works well for me since I grew up playing vintage Fenders.

Overall, a very sweet guitar. The only thing I may do is to have a bone nut installed at some point. Even at the new cost, I've learned that the Tribute models are a great value. I can see myself picking up more of these when I run across them.

JT

Alongside it's USA born brethren

Re: Got a great deal on a used Tribute yesterday

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:54 am

I think the USA Bluesboy still uses the Duncan Seth Lover humbucker. The Tribute uses a Paul Gagon-designed humbucker (made in USA). I've got one of these in clear orange and it's got my favorite neck profile of any of my 5 G&Ls. I got mine on eBay for $375, including shipping.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:45 am

That looks like my old Cavalier!

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks for the pickup info. I was wondering, because I've seen both names associated with it. I have a Tele Thinline which I believe has the Lovers. I'll have to do an A/B comparison. Yes, the neck profile feels great. I may get the ends of the frets smoothed out a little. I got this one for $325 cash with no tax. No case, but I have lots of cases that it fits in.

Sprinter, that is your old Cavalier. It's a great axe!

JT

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Nice collection!

Congrats!

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:28 pm

I love the tobacco sunburst on that bluesboy. looks like a great quality guitar!

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks guys. John, I like that red burst on the Comanche in your avatar too.

I took some fine polishing compound a couple of nights ago and hand polished out all of the small surface scratches on the new Bluesboy, and also got most of the scratches out of the pickguard. It's all ready now for me to put my own battle scars on it.

I own Fender, Gibson, and Ibanez electric guitars, but G&L has definitely been my new favorite over the last couple of years. Great instruments for sure.

JT

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:10 pm

themikeaustin wrote:I think the USA Bluesboy still uses the Duncan Seth Lover humbucker. The Tribute uses a Paul Gagon-designed humbucker (made in USA). I've got one of these in clear orange and it's got my favorite neck profile of any of my 5 G&Ls. I got mine on eBay for $375, including shipping.

This changed in March 1, 2016, see: March 1, 2016-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options and List of pickups used in G&L guitars.
The neck pickup was changed to a G&L A2S4248N Alnico II magnet humbucker, with the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover humbucker as an option.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: