G&L Fallout Tribute - Humbucker to single coil questions

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:40 pm

I've had my G&L Fallout tribute for about 6 months now, and I love just about everything about this guitar. It's my first guitar with a humbucker, and it's made me realize that I'm just not much of a humbucker fan, and even when coil tapped, it doesn't quite have the single coil chime like my strat.

I'm wondering if there are any single coil pickups that would fit into the current humbucker slot? Or a cover for a single coil pickup that would allow it to fit? Or, are there any other options that I should consider?

Thanks!

Re: G&L Fallout Tribute - Humbucker to single coil questions

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi. I didn't like the humbucker pickup in my Fallout either (way too much bass, not enough bite). I replaced it with a Harmonic Design Z-90, which has more of a mid range emphasis, supposedly more like a P90. I really like it, but I'm not sure it will give you the strat chime you are looking for...

For the strat chime, you might consider the Rio Grande Tallboy pickup. They make a humbucker version that sounds like a strat single coil in the "split coil" setting.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks Cho!

I think I'm going to go with a single coil in place of the humbucker. No point in trying to get that sound out of a humbucker. After a bit of searching, I did come across a 'conversion ring, which is a humbucker ring cut out for a single coil.

Will I be able to follow a generic wiring diagram of 2 single coil pickups with tone, volume, and 3 way switch? Something like this: LINK, but use the pot and cap values from the G&L Tribute?

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:31 am

That wiring will be fine.

I agree that getting an actual single coil pickup is the way to go - split humbuckers NEVER sound good. There are a lot of humbucker sized P90s out there that might be a good match for the neck. The Lollar pickups webpage will be worth a visit, they have all sorts of stuff.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks blargfromouterspace, if my Fat 50 single coil doesn't work out for some reasson, I may try one of those Lollars.