G&L Ascari Tribute GTS HB3 Question

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:21 pm

I have the 3 Humbucker version of the Ascari and I love the guitar so far. I am curious, however, about two things. I am familiar with the wiring schematic and that the tone knob works as the pickup expander and I know how it works in conjunction with the 5 position switch, and I know that the little switch is the coil tap. What I can't seem to find anywhere is if the switch taps the coils when it's in the up position or the down position, the guitar isn't labeled and there was no instruction manual in the box. The other bit I'm just curious about is why would the do the coil tap on the tone knob on the 2 pickup version and then change the coil tap to a separate switch on the 3 pickup version... I'm curious what the reasoning is behind the change.

Re: G&L Ascari Tribute GTS HB3 Question

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:35 pm

tetri1 wrote:I have the 3 Humbucker version of the Ascari and I love the guitar so far. I am curious, however, about two things. I am familiar with the wiring schematic and that the tone knob works as the pickup expander and I know how it works in conjunction with the 5 position switch, and I know that the little switch is the coil tap. What I can't seem to find anywhere is if the switch taps the coils when it's in the up position or the down position, the guitar isn't labeled and there was no instruction manual in the box. The other bit I'm just curious about is why would the do the coil tap on the tone knob on the 2 pickup version and then change the coil tap to a separate switch on the 3 pickup version... I'm curious what the reasoning is behind the change.

The coil split mini-toggle: Up position is the coil tap position and Down is the HB position.
I contacted the designer of this guitar and he said this about the control design:

The reason for moving the coil tap to a switch is because on a 3 pickup guitar you have to switch 3 separate circuits. This requires a 3PDT ( 3 Pole Double Throw) switch.
Those aren't typically standard on the back of pots so a simple 3PDT toggle switch was used.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:43 pm

Also, please do post some photos [it does not exist otherwise ;) ] and add it to our G&L Registry.

Thanks.

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 pm

That was exactly the information I was looking for, thank you Craig! Now the only remaining question I have about the guitar is what size strings are recommended for it?

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:46 pm

tetri1 wrote:That was exactly the information I was looking for, thank you Craig! Now the only remaining question I have about the guitar is what size strings are recommended for it?

The stock string gauge is .010-.046. See: What gauge & brand of strings does G&L use on their guitars?.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:41 am

I just bought an Ascari HB3 and I wanted to ask about the pickup expander on the tone knob. Does it work in the same manner as the S500? For instance, if I have the 5-way in position 2 and the tone pot in the "up" position will all three humbuckers be active? I've tried that configuration and the sound doesn't change. But if I pull the pot up in position 1 the difference in tone is very noticable. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:55 pm

GandAl wrote:I just bought an Ascari HB3 and I wanted to ask about the pickup expander on the tone knob. Does it work in the same manner as the S500? For instance, if I have the 5-way in position 2 and the tone pot in the "up" position will all three humbuckers be active? I've tried that configuration and the sound doesn't change. But if I pull the pot up in position 1 the difference in tone is very noticable. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes, it is the same pickup expander function used on the S-500. See: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models and
Tribute Ascari GTS HB3 Wiring Diagram.

Please do post some photos of your Tribute Ascari GTS HB3 and add it to our G&L Registry, too.

Hope this helps.