New ASAT Classic Alnico Tribute Model at MF?

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:27 am

PSA: Just happened to be browsing MF this morning and noticed a tribute version of the ASAT Classic Alnico in Olympic white. For a real nice price as well.

Re: New ASAT Classic Alnico Tribute Model at MF?

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:30 am

Add in an HSS Tribute Legacy and a natural finish ASAT Alnico as well. Dang!

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:06 pm

I checked with my contacts at G&L and got the details.
I have updated this post with those details: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:09 pm

I had a (heavily modified and refinished) '69 Telecaster that looked like this that I gave to my son, who is now a better guitarist than I am.

I want this so bad.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:29 pm

The natural ash and white basswood on sale right now for [Actual price removed].
Last edited by Craig on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin removed posted price as this is not allowed.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:03 pm

Just looked it up, those are great guitars for a great price. If they just came with a 7.5 or 12 neck I might try to sneak one in the house!

Bought one. Need advice.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi. This is my first post. I just took delivery on one of these and opened up the box minutes ago. Everything seems great except that the neck has no finish on it. At all. The listing on MF said the neck is supposed to be glossy. It also said the pup are supposed to be MFD. They are not. I'm torn right now if I should return the guitar. I was going to order from GC which advertised it heavily over Labor Day weekend for [actual price deleted by Admin] I check MF to see if there were any reviews and they had it on sale for [actual price deleted by Admin]. I had to pull the trigger on that! But later on the first review was posted and the reviewer reported the same issue--he didn't say that the neck had no finish on either side. I can live with the feel of wood in my hand but the fretboard is a concern. I can see this beautiful guitar (whose body is finished with gloss) getting a grubby-looking neck after a while. The sound is pretty good. I don't know much about the MFD or what is on here instead but I would not return it about the sound. If anyone can advise me, I'd appreciate it.
Last edited by Craig on Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin removed posted prices as they are not allowed

Re: Bought one. Need advice.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:23 pm

Corporal Clegg wrote:Hi. This is my first post. I just took delivery on one of these and opened up the box minutes ago. Everything seems great except that the neck has no finish on it. At all. The listing on MF said the neck is supposed to be glossy. It also said the pup are supposed to be MFD. They are not. I'm torn right now if I should return the guitar. I was going to order from GC which advertised it heavily over Labor Day weekend for [actual price deleted by Admin] I check MF to see if there were any reviews and they had it on sale for [actual price deleted by Admin]. I had to pull the trigger on that! But later on the first review was posted and the reviewer reported the same issue--he didn't say that the neck had no finish on either side. I can live with the feel of wood in my hand but the fretboard is a concern. I can see this beautiful guitar (whose body is finished with gloss) getting a grubby-looking neck after a while. The sound is pretty good. I don't know much about the MFD or what is on here instead but I would not return it about the sound. If anyone can advise me, I'd appreciate it.

If you saw my previous post in this thread and followed the link I posted, you will see that MF/GC has a history of incorrectly listing G&L Tribute Exclusive models.
That is one of the reasons I put that post together- to correct the actual specifications.

The neck is finished in clear poly satin which can feel like no finish especially if you were expecting a glossy poly finished neck.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks. I did not notice that link apparently. I sent an e-mail and a G&L guy called my phone number to explain. I'm not sure about keeping it yet. Since it's MF's error, they will exchange with the 36 months no interest offer which has now expired. I can say I do love the look, and the little bit of sound I checked out was fine. But I'll see how much if any I can lower the action and put it through some real paces tomorrow. Do you think I can assume that this has the same pickups as G&L American ASATs? I've heard that the foreign ones do. Thanks again. Jim

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:55 am

best way for me on lower action is a neck shim ..... that satin neck will polish up if you play alot

Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:52 am

Corporal Clegg wrote:Thanks. I did not notice that link apparently. I sent an e-mail and a G&L guy called my phone number to explain. I'm not sure about keeping it yet. Since it's MF's error, they will exchange with the 36 months no interest offer which has now expired. I can say I do love the look, and the little bit of sound I checked out was fine. But I'll see how much if any I can lower the action and put it through some real paces tomorrow. Do you think I can assume that this has the same pickups as G&L American ASATs? I've heard that the foreign ones do. Thanks again. Jim

The Tribute instruments that use MFD pickups are the same USA pickups made in Fullerton, CA.
The single coil Alnico pickups in the Tribute Legacy are also the same pickups used in the USA Legacy and
are made at the Fullerton factory. The single coil Alnico pickups in the ASAT Classic Alnico Tribute, all humbuckers,
and P-90's are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.

Hope this helps.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:25 pm

So, I have a line on one of these for cheap. I like the Tributes, have one, sold another.

So, these pickups....G&L designed alnico...anyone have specs on them or anything to say about them?

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:22 pm

bigben wrote:So, I have a line on one of these for cheap. I like the Tributes, have one, sold another.

So, these pickups....G&L designed alnico...anyone have specs on them or anything to say about them?

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

BTW, Paul Gagon was the pickup designer of all of G&L's Alnico pickups.

Hope this helps.