Pickups in Tribute series

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:37 am

Hi, i have looked around and apologies if posting a subject much talked of but i couldn't find a black and white answer. Having played a lot of G and L's, old and new, i love them all. Being mainly an acoustic gypsy player means i don't keep an electric around for most of the time. One is required occasionally, so a G and L is the only solid option when doing production jobs. The Fallout is perfect for my requirements and had a tribute with USA pickups in, great little guitar. Are they still made with the same pickups? I need to get one for a job but will they have the same quality of tone? (Tributes are different in many ways to USA models and vintage USA but they stand in their own right for the budget)

Re: Pickups in Tribute series

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:59 am

roog wrote:Hi, i have looked around and apologies if posting a subject much talked of but i couldn't find a black and white answer. Having played a lot of G and L's, old and new, i love them all. Being mainly an acoustic gypsy player means i don't keep an electric around for most of the time. One is required occasionally, so a G and L is the only solid option when doing production jobs. The Fallout is perfect for my requirements and had a tribute with USA pickups in, great little guitar. Are they still made with the same pickups? I need to get one for a job but will they have the same quality of tone? (Tributes are different in many ways to USA models and vintage USA but they stand in their own right for the budget)

I recently answered a similar question, see: viewtopic.php?p=93108#p93108
Also see: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:33 am

Hi, thanks for rapid reply, i cant really figure out forums, a bit like a maze! thanks again and great guitars

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:38 am

This is quote from the other article ' The humbuckers and P-90's are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.'
Have they always been from Indonesia? So i will be getting the same pickup? Indonesia make great guitars, have no issue there, i worked in guitar store for 12 years, the Indonesian construction is very consistent and solid and good finishes etc but can i buy another one blind knowing it will have same pickups as one a few years old? :D

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:41 am

and what would it cost to have a light swamp ash one made to USA spec? with USA G&L p.90ish p/u in neck?

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:26 pm

roog wrote:This is quote from the other article ' The humbuckers and P-90's are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.'
Have they always been from Indonesia? So i will be getting the same pickup? Indonesia make great guitars, have no issue there, i worked in guitar store for 12 years, the Indonesian construction is very consistent and solid and good finishes etc but can i buy another one blind knowing it will have same pickups as one a few years old? :D

See these posts in our G&L Knowledgebase: What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003? and
Why the change in manufacturing location for the Tributes?.

Specifications do chance from time to time, so see these posts: July 1, 2015-present Tribute Series Production Models... and this previously mentioned post, List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:30 pm

roog wrote:and what would it cost to have a light swamp ash one made to USA spec? with USA G&L p.90ish p/u in neck?

You will need to contact a G&L dealer to get price quotes. We are not allowed to quote prices for new G&L instruments on the forums. See: Welcome! Read This First.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Just checked the custom orders page on G and L site, good price for a USA build. Thanks for the links, was kinda hoping for a simple changed here etc or not. Anyways, thanks for your time, i got another tribute fallout on route (i hope) so will feedback on forum between various models when it arrives

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:55 pm

craig, that post says p90s are made in indonesia, but if i recall, you said the p90 in my tribute fallout was the american pickup?

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:43 pm

jayochs wrote:craig, that post says p90s are made in indonesia, but if i recall, you said the p90 in my tribute fallout was the american pickup?

The pickup P-90 pickups in the Tribute Series are made in the Cort facility in Indonesia to G&L's specifications. I did not say they were made at the Fullerton factory.
I just listed the US Fallout specs and Tribute Series Fallout specs from the current Price Lists and they both have the same pickup part number (G&L AP4285B P-90).
I had recently gotten confirmation about all the current pickups used in the standard Tribute Series models and which ones came from the Fullerton factory and which ones
were built in the Cort facility in Indonesia.

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:58 pm

:( damn. so i have to stop saying the p90 and humbucker in my fallout are american made pickups? :( :( guesss i have to buy an american G&L now..lol

Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:18 pm

The pups in my Tribute Legacy are incredible.

The pups in my (now stolen) Tribute S-500 were amazing. I miss that guitar.