Tribute Ascari GT-90 or ASAT Junior II?

Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:03 am

Thinking about getting a P90 Tribute, either the Ascari GT-90 or the ASAT Junior II. Any thoughts? The ASAT has the 25.5" scale and traditional body style, the Ascari is 24.75" and has a more premium look.

Re: Tribute Ascari GT-90 or ASAT Junior II?

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:27 am

I had an Ascari GT90 and an ASAT Deluxe II (humbuckers instead of the P90s). The P90s sound great. It really comes down to the details. The Ascari has a thicker/wider neck with a smaller scale. It's body is lighter and overall has a cool look to it. The ASAT has a thinner neck, longer scale, heavier body, and also a cool look IMO. I wouldn't say one is better than the other - they're just different. I prefer longer scales and thinner necks, so I went with the ASAT. But the ASCARI is really cool and could have adapted to it easily.

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:07 pm

I purchased a new Tribute Junior II a while back for foolishly little money on EBay. It is beautifully built, plays very nicely, and sounds great. I was really impressed with the quality even compared to the USA G&L guitars I have. It did have a significant buzz at the second fret that required me to take it to my luthier to be repaired and set up. So it wasn't such a great deal after that, but still good, and it's a very nice guitar. I play it a lot, perhaps because it was so cheap I am willing to hang it on my wall which makes it easier to get to. Based on the quality of that instrument I also purchased a Tribute Legacy HB. It was a total disappointment, and immediately went back to the dealer. So I'm not certain if I got lucky with the Junior II, or if it is representative of the model, but in any case I really like it and would recommend it.

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:40 am

Found a great deal on a Tribute ASAT Bluesboy!

Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 am

Ascari GT-90 all the way. They are almost free now. I have 5 G&L tributes now, and every one is perfect, not a high fret or a dodgy tuner in the lot. I have matching Legacys one with single coil and one with a humbucker bridge. Both are fabulous and have much better tremolo bridge action than the MIM Fenders. Got them all for a song and a dance.

Mon May 27, 2019 3:49 am

I just got new G&L Tribute ASAT Junior II in Trans Red, my first Tele style guitar, currently having all P90 powered Gibson style guitars. This Junior II really screams, the P90's are awesome and very bright but with lots of tone range..

While searching for a Tele with 22 frets, 25.5" scale, P90's and a Strat style tremolo, I found the ASAT Jr II with the Tone-Pros bridge hardware that would accept a direct bolt on tremolo.

Had some difficulty setting up the bridge, I don't understand why mine came with a 14" radius locking Tone-Pros when the neck has a 12" radius, that doesn't work at all. Anyway, I had to put an Epi Tom bridge on that has the correct string radius to make it work.... and it really works good now!... Think its a keeper...

Also installed a Duesenberg Les Trem II in place of the stop bar and some stock chrome Tele knobs..

Currently have a few other tremolo experiments..
The very simple tough design of the Les Trem II can easily dive almost as far a Strat style tremolo...

Mon May 27, 2019 10:22 am

MihcMac wrote:I don't understand why mine came with a 14" radius locking Tone-Pros when the neck has a 12" radius, that doesn't work at all. Anyway, I had to put an Epi Tom bridge on that has the correct string radius to make it work.... and it really works good now!... Think its a keeper...

I'd stick with the 14" bridge. Mathematically - a bridge should have a larger radius than the neck for two reasons:

-For equal action between strings, the strings should be in a concentric circle to the neck rather than the same radius. If you stack same radius on top of same radius arcs, you wind up with a crescent shape - which means your middle strings would have higher action than the outer strings. So a concentric circle will be larger than the neck radius alone. Ideally this would only be a couple mm greater, however:
-Because the radius of the neck is a cylinder rather than a cone (and a cone would match the spread of the strings between bridge/nut,) the outer strings always need to have somewhat higher action than the inner strings to avoid the difficulties that occur when a cone-shaped string spread needs to conform to a roughly cylindrical neck. Said different - Your middle strings will be capable of lower action, because they have a flatter fretboard section to conform to, vs. the compound shape of the outside strings.

Look forward to seeing your experiments - although I'd consider a roller bridge with any vibrato :)

Mon May 27, 2019 11:17 am

Danley wrote:I'd stick with the 14" bridge. Mathematically - a bridge should have a larger radius than the neck for two reasons:

-For equal action between strings, the strings should be in a concentric circle to the neck rather than the same radius. If you stack same radius on top of same radius arcs, you wind up with a crescent shape - which means your middle strings would have higher action than the outer strings. So a concentric circle will be larger than the neck radius alone. Ideally this would only be a couple mm greater, however:
-Because the radius of the neck is a cylinder rather than a cone (and a cone would match the spread of the strings between bridge/nut,) the outer strings always need to have somewhat higher action than the inner strings to avoid the difficulties that occur when a cone-shaped string spread needs to conform to a roughly cylindrical neck. Said different - Your middle strings will be capable of lower action, because they have a flatter fretboard section to conform to, vs. the compound shape of the outside strings.

Look forward to seeing your experiments - although I'd consider a roller bridge with any vibrato :)

Starting off just let me say I really love this guitar, its wonderful to play and the sound is incredible..

Thanks for the input.. I am an experienced player, meaning been around for a long time.. On my Junior II it is case of the wrong bridge, when the E strings are adjusted correctly the D and G are almost sitting on the frets and buzzing really bad. I think they perhaps put the wrong bridge on a few of these Jrs. I have a support ticket opened on it....

The Jr's string break angle coming over the bridge to the Les Trem II is not steep, not really causing any major hangups.. but maybe..
My LP below had a lot of break angle and did really need a roller bridge...

Mon May 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Great looking guitar. :D Curious, does the LesTrem allow for much or any up-bend? Hope they can give confirmation on which bridge is correct, and possibly give you a replacement of equal quality to the Tonepros.

Mon May 27, 2019 1:03 pm

Danley wrote:Great looking guitar. :D Curious, does the LesTrem allow for much or any up-bend? Hope they can give confirmation on which bridge is correct, and possibly give you a replacement of equal quality to the Tonepros.

The "Duesenberg Les Trem II" has more up than you could safely use and with the angled tremolo bar adjusted for maximum dive, the bar will make contact with the guitar before the spring is fully compressed, getting about a full octave down.. The angled Bar is held in place by set screws which allows you to set it for a comfortable position while still able to swivel easily out of the way.. It just takes a few minutes to install when you have the stop bar type of hardware like the Junior..

I have them on 5 of them now that I thrash quite regularly. In addition a Deusenberg Tremola that is similar to a B5, not to mention the Stetsbar that is incredible but a little pricy..

The Les Trem has become my favorite for ease of installation, durability and function... not to mention accurate return to zero..

I would like to try the Dual-Fulcrum® vibrato, I always liked the Strat tremolo, I wish they would put the G&L vibrato in a Tele style with P90's.. which is what I was looking for in the first place... However, I also find the JM style Doheny to be quite interesting..

Waiting for info on the TonePros bridge, but in the meantime the my Epi TOM bridge is working quite well on the ASAT Junior II the string action is incredible with the corrected bridge radius... I am really beginning to love playing this guitar...

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:55 am

I didn't compare the Ascari GT-90 to the Junior II as I was specifically looking for a Tele. The GT-90 looks to have comfortable contours and has similar hardware..

After having the Junior for a few weeks now the neck is settling down from being introduced to the very humid Hawaiian climate. The Junior just keeps getting better and the Paul Gagon-designed P90 pickups are hot and a tiny bit brighter than on the Gibson side of the isle.. The hum cancelling works pretty well when the selector is in mid position.. All of the frets are accessible, even 22 is usable.. The Epi TOM bridge is staying on the guitar and the TonePros is going in the trash, it just does not work with the neck/fingerboard on my guitar.. The Les Trem II vibrato addition, for me, on this wonderful instrument is perfect....... :happy0065:

My #1 is a Blueshawk that also has a 25.5" scale neck and excellent hum cancelling, the Junior gets closer every day..

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:14 pm

MihcMac wrote:I didn't compare the Ascari GT-90 to the Junior II as I was specifically looking for a Tele. The GT-90 looks to have comfortable contours and has similar hardware..

After having the Junior for a few weeks now the neck is settling down from being introduced to the very humid Hawaiian climate. The Junior just keeps getting better and the Paul Gagon-designed P90 pickups are hot and a tiny bit brighter than on the Gibson side of the isle.. The hum cancelling works pretty well when the selector is in mid position.. All of the frets are accessible, even 22 is usable.. The Epi TOM bridge is staying on the guitar and the TonePros is going in the trash, it just does not work with the neck/fingerboard on my guitar.. The Les Trem II vibrato addition, for me, on this wonderful instrument is perfect....... :happy0065:

My #1 is a Blueshawk that also has a 25.5" scale neck and excellent hum cancelling, the Junior gets closer every day..

Happy you like it, I played one last week; it stuck with my thoughts :) Great neck.

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Update on ASAT Junior II bridge... I contacted TonePros about my bridge problem and I sent them some photos of my bridge. Tone Pros confirmed that it was not the correct bridge as listed on the on the G&L spec page and that it was from older 2004 stock. It is a 14" radius bridge that would not work correctly on my ASAT Junior. TonePros is sending me the correct 12" radius bridge. I have the tracking number and it should be here in a couple of days.. :happy0065:

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 pm

That is awesome - they’re a great company, glad you won’t have to deal with the Epiphone one much longer.

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:59 pm

I have had my new corrected bridge from TonePros on my ASAT Junior II for a few days now. TonePros fixed the problem with the new factory spec'd 12" radius bridge, and responded very quickly... My Junior is wonderful to play now..