Tribute Bluesboy semi-hollow question

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:20 am

I ordered a new Bluesboy online and received the guitar in time for the weekend. After unboxing I noticed a rattling, something loose inside the guitar. Like the sound of a pick inside an acoustic moving around. After seeing something inside the F hole chamber I managed to get the culprit out the F hole. It looks like wood shavings, two pieces, but it's not wood. It's more like flattened glue, or a glue shaving. There is still something inside the guitar, in the lower bout chamber.

After reading all the good reviews about Tributes I was a quite disappointed at this. Before even plugging it in I decided to return the guitar. Then I plugged it in and played it. Wow! Love the neck and action out of the box, intonation was dead on. Other than some burrs on the tuner side of the nut and the mice ( :D ), the guitar is a keeper and player.

I am comfortable opening the control plate to get out whatever might be in there, but is this material inside (and being like a glue shaving) something to be concerned about? Sign of a hidden problem?

Thanks,
Hank

Re: Tribute Bluesboy semi-hollow question

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:17 am

I don't think you can draw the conclusion that the quality of the guitar is shot just from that one instance. I had a Tribute SH Bluesboy and it was a bit rough around the edges when it came to the finish around the F hole. Didn't bother me too much. I also had a tele that had some wood break off around the input jack. It wasn't ideal but it didn't affect the playability or tone. That is a legit knock against the quality of the Tribute, but they definitely still aren't up the US standards.

Re: Tribute Bluesboy semi-hollow question

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Agreed and not knocking the overall quality of the guitar. Just would like to make sure the loose material isn't part of a problem that can't be seen or heard. I personally can't imagine so, but since I've never had a semi-hollow guitar or a G&L Tribute of any type I came here to ask. Thanks