Aftermarket Trem on Tribute Fallout?

Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi all!

I'm a brand-new G&L owner – I've had my Tribute Fallout in sonic blue for about a week now and I'm absolutely in love. The tonal options on this guitar are amazing, and I'm blown away by the pickups. The P90 is incredible, and even though I'm not usually a humbucker guy the chime on that bridge bucker is just beautiful, and just as good tapped. Even the factory setup was pretty darn good. My other main guitar is a Jaguar, and I absolutely love the tremolo system on it, so I noticed that as I've been playing my Fallout I keep reaching down for a trem-bar and my hand flails around for a second before I realize that there's nothing there to grab onto.

Has anybody here experimented with aftermarket trem/bridge systems on their Fallout or other G&L guitars with the Saddle-lock bridge? Or has anybody had a guitar tech rout their guitar for a G&L dual-fulcrum trem bridge that didn't originally have it? It's not a deal-breaker if I have to go without, but if this thing had a trem-system it would be just incredible. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Re: Aftermarket Trem on Tribute Fallout?

Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi Collin,

I have a USA Fallout, and some other G&Ls. I love my guitar.

You have a couple of choices, with different pros & cons.

1) You can order a USA Fallout with the trem already on it. You get to choose your neck, color, things like that. On the other hand, lots of $$$$$

2) You can have somebody route out your existing Fallout for a trem. A skilled luthier should be able to do this with minimal grief. You might have screw holes left over, you can't reverse it, and if it gets done wrong, it's useless. A moderate amount of $$$

3) You can put a Bigsby B5/B50 on it. You heard me. It can be done. I did to an ASAT Special, with the stock SL bridge. The upside is the least $$. And minimal modification to the body, which can be filled & stickered over if needed. And you are back to stock. On the other hand...... Stringing it can be a challenge, because you don't have a lot of room between the SL bridge and the Bigsby. And the strings will be running through, and in contact with, the SL bridge, which can bind a bit, and eventually wear through the bridge (It will take a long time.) One way around this is to insert teflon tubes into the SL bridge as was done with the Will Ray Z-3.

Take care,

edg