Hello - Can a US neck be put on a post '92 Tribute Series

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 pm

Hello - I'm new to the site asking for some guidance on a topic probably beaten to death - Can anyone advise me if it possible to but a US made neck on a Tribute Series? I have a mid-90's S-500 very happy with it overall but have never really settled down with the neck profile for whatever reason - too flat for me I suppose - just feels "wide" to me and I end up contorting my wrist to do I want - I am looking to add a V profile on my Tribute to see how it goes before plunking down some cash on a new USA guitar. I live overseas and G&Ls are scarce at best (and I don't make it back to the States often enough to do any proper research) - Thanks in advance - T

Re: Hello - Can a US neck be put on a post '92 Tribute Serie

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:52 am

TommyD wrote:Hello - I'm new to the site asking for some guidance on a topic probably beaten to death - Can anyone advise me if it possible to but a US made neck on a Tribute Series? I have a mid-90's S-500 very happy with it overall but have never really settled down with the neck profile for whatever reason - too flat for me I suppose - just feels "wide" to me and I end up contorting my wrist to do I want - I am looking to add a V profile on my Tribute to see how it goes before plunking down some cash on a new USA guitar. I live overseas and G&Ls are scarce at best (and I don't make it back to the States often enough to do any proper research) - Thanks in advance - T

We have had a number of discusssions on replacement necks, neck swaps, etc. on the forums over the years. So, awhile back I created
this compilation post in the G&L Knowledgebase and add to it when necessary: Compilation of Replacement neck info posted on the G&L Forum. Please check it out.

Is your T/S S-500 a Made In Japan version? (mid-90's) If so, is it a 3-bolt neck? Please post some photos and the serial number of your S-500.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Thank you Craig. I checked out the Musikraft site - they don't seem to have the G&L spec necks but they close enough and they'll fit.

Not too sure of the serial number for my guitar - the headstock has 03030987 but this is a Tribute Legacy neck I found on eBay years back my guitar took a major tumble - is there a spot on the body I could check?

I'm pretty sure my S-500 was manufactured in Indonesia - it had a satin finish neck which I much preferred to the gloss overall - but it was all I could find at the time - about 12 years ago.

I will post some pix when I'm on my laptop.

I also want to upgrade the electronics - could you direct me as to what you see as the "best" place to get a kit to upgrade to S-500 specs?

Thanks again

T

Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:51 pm

Wow - I'm getting old. Wrong dates - my guitar is an early 2000's series not mid-90's. Four bolt neck