Tribute Fallout Modifications?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:30 am

Hi all - I've played a USA Fallout, and found the body to be super comfortable. It's pretty unique, not a lot out there like this in a 25.5" scale. The body shape reminds me a bit of Jerry Garcia's Wolf guitar (http://jerrygarcia.com/guitars/#wolf).

I was considering getting a Tribute model and making a few changes.

1) The neck... I need a thicker neck and wider nut to play comfortably. I noticed that Musikraft offers G&L neck replacements. I e-mailed them to ask about a replacement neck for the Tribute Fallout, but I haven't heard back. I'll plan to call them, but I was wondering if anybody here has explored a replacement for a Tribute Fallout.

2) Add a bass control... I found the neck pickup especially to be very boomy, and I think installing PTB controls like a Legacy/S500 would be a great upgrade. There are several ways to do this, I'm wondering if anybody has photos of a Fallout without a pickguard so that I can see the factory routing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Tribute Fallout Modifications?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:22 am

jackstraw wrote:Hi all - I've played a USA Fallout, and found the body to be super comfortable. It's pretty unique, not a lot out there like this in a 25.5" scale. The body shape reminds me a bit of Jerry Garcia's Wolf guitar (http://jerrygarcia.com/guitars/#wolf).

I was considering getting a Tribute model and making a few changes.

1) The neck... I need a thicker neck and wider nut to play comfortably. I noticed that Musikraft offers G&L neck replacements. I e-mailed them to ask about a replacement neck for the Tribute Fallout, but I haven't heard back. I'll plan to call them, but I was wondering if anybody here has explored a replacement for a Tribute Fallout.

2) Add a bass control... I found the neck pickup especially to be very boomy, and I think installing PTB controls like a Legacy/S500 would be a great upgrade. There are several ways to do this, I'm wondering if anybody has photos of a Fallout without a pickguard so that I can see the factory routing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1) See: Compilation of Replacement neck info posted on the G&L Forum.
2) See: Gagon's P-90 vs ASAT special jumbo G&L MFD (has photo of Fallout body without pickguard).

When you do these mods, please post details and photos in The Project Page sub-forum.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:59 am

Thanks Craig. The routing photo on that thread is just what I needed.

Thanks also for collecting the existing neck replacement info. I looked through that thread before posting, and I really didn't find the info that I'm looking for. Musikraft replied to me saying they are unfamiliar with this model (Tribute Fallout), but suggest that I check out the heel width, shape, # of frets and scale length.

At this point, I know that the Tribute Fallouts have 22 frets and 25.5" scale length. But, if anyone knows or can help me figure out the heel width and shape I would really appreciate the info. Thanks!

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:40 am

jackstraw wrote:Thanks Craig. The routing photo on that thread is just what I needed.

Thanks also for collecting the existing neck replacement info. I looked through that thread before posting, and I really didn't find the info that I'm looking for. Musikraft replied to me saying they are unfamiliar with this model (Tribute Fallout), but suggest that I check out the heel width, shape, # of frets and scale length.

At this point, I know that the Tribute Fallouts have 22 frets and 25.5" scale length. But, if anyone knows or can help me figure out the heel width and shape I would really appreciate the info. Thanks!

You may have missed this post: new neck. I had just added it to the Compilation thread, right before I posted my first reply.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:23 am

Craig wrote:You may have missed this post: new neck. I had just added it to the Compilation thread, right before I posted my first reply.

Thanks Craig, I missed that one. PST looks like a pretty amazing place - I love the "anything is possible" attitude. If I get a Fallout and go forward with the mods, I'll definitely check back in here.