G&L Tribute ASAT Special Bridge Pickup

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:08 am

Hi Everybody,

I have an G&L Tribute ASAT Special, and I like it a lot. The bridge pup is a killer! I replaced the 3-way switch for the 4-way switch. It is a great guitar for the money, except for the bridge pickup.

For my ears, the bridge pickup seems thin. No matter how I set it up, i miss bass, low end, I don't know what, but it seams thin. I understand it is an Indonesian guitar, with a crappy electronics, questionable wood quality, but is there a way how to tweak it a bit? How do you set up that MFD in the bridge?

I have a Vox AC4TVH amp with a Vox 12" box. I play the guitar with a reverb in front, no other pedals!

Thanks!

Re: G&L Tribute ASAT Special Bridge Pickup

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:34 pm

i presume it's the neck pickup that is "killer," then.
i have a trib asat special that has great tones from both mfd pups, thru my carvin tube amp.
they are relatively high output pups, compared to my fender guitars.
i have played entire sets with that guitar and have not felt the urge to switch.
the mahogany body is solid and toneful, and attractive.
i wonder if your 4 position switch mod affected the tone of the bridge pup. i have not made this mod.
i wonder if others who have made this mod have any insights about this.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Have you tried adjusting the pickup height and individual pole pieces to balance the pickup sound? Check the G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Technical Questions & Tips for setup suggestions.

How did the guitar pickup's sound before you changed to the 4-way switch? Did you wire the 4-way switch like this: ASAT 4-Way Switching with revised Tone Control? If not, how is it wired?

:ugeek:

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:41 pm

you should have useable sound from either big MFD ..... my two big MFD guitars sound good regardless of amp and are high output , same as drjho7

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:53 am

Thanks everyone for your replays!

@ john o
Yes, the neck is a killer - that´s why I am surprised about the thin sounding bridge! I don't think the 4-way mode can affect the bridge pup, but I will check my wiring again!

@ Craig
I did the wiring according to the schematics you posted - thou I used the electronics that was originally in my ASAT. I Might try re-moding it back and compare the sound.

will be back with the results in couple of days!
thanks again!