G&L ASAT Classic S or Bluesboy or Legacy

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:16 am

Hello. I have an old Asat Classic and a Legacy HB. (used to have an S500)

Want to get a new guitar and tried to find a Legacy with all single coil pickups. The more I read, the more I began to think of a Classic S Alnico instead of the Legacy , as it would have a strat like sound plus the alnico telecaster sound. More versatile? THEN I read about the Blues Boy and got really confused.

The problem is that none of these are available for me to try in person so I must rely on you tubes and your opinions.

If you had to choose between a Classic S Alnico and a Blues Boy, which way would you go?

Thanks.

Re: G&L ASAT Classic S or Bluesboy or Legacy

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:26 pm

what type of music do you play ??

Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm

I play a pretty wide range of stuff. I thought the Classic S would allow me to emulate (sort of) a Legacy sound but also give me the alnico telecaster capability.

The Bluesboy would provide something totally different with the neck humbucker.

Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Personally, I would go with the ASAT Classic S Alnico. That would be 7 new tonal possibilities over your current models. Like you said , a lot versatility with the Classic S.

Cheers, Dan

Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:08 pm

I would also say Classic S. With that configuration you could even swap out the neck pickup for a single sized humbucker if you ever wanted that extra bluesy punch of the blues boy. I am also a bit biased being a new Classic S owner (non alnico) I think it's a stellar configuration!

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:16 am

timacn wrote:Hello. I have an old Asat Classic and a Legacy HB. (used to have an S500)

Want to get a new guitar and tried to find a Legacy with all single coil pickups. The more I read, the more I began to think of a Classic S Alnico instead of the Legacy , as it would have a strat like sound plus the alnico telecaster sound. More versatile? THEN I read about the Blues Boy and got really confused.

The problem is that none of these are available for me to try in person so I must rely on you tubes and your opinions.

If you had to choose between a Classic S Alnico and a Blues Boy, which way would you go?

Thanks.

Hard choice, both are awesome.

I have an antique sunburst ASAT semi solid swamp ash, maple fretboard. "f" hole and mfd pickups. Great guitar. I also have a flame vintage? sunburst special edition Tribute Legacy I just got from MF. Great guitar.

I would possibly get the Legacy first and fill in gaps as time and funds permit. Maybe even get a twin HB of one style or another, or the remarkable BluesBoy with the useful neck covered humbucker.