New G&L Asat Tribute Deluxe Carved Top -- problems....

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:05 am

This weekend I received a new ASAT Tribute Deluxe Carved Top. Great looking guitar and overall I'm very happy with it but it has a couple of issues. The biggest one is that the tone knob causes the sound to cut in and out when it's in the middle or bridge pickup positions. Per the instructions on the G&L support page, I called my dealer and they suggested I spray everything with some contact cleaner. So, I opened up the jack plate and removed the pot (I just unscrewed the nut holding it in place and pulled it out of the mounting hole) and sprayed inside the push/pull switch and the other contacts.

That didn't solve the problem but I discovered that once the pot was back in place, if I pushed the wires around it would cut in and out, so it's obviously either a bad solder joint or a bad pot. As it is now, I found a position for the wires that works and as long as the wires don't move it won't cut in and out, but that's not a real solution. When the guitar is transported, or when I'm running around on stage, it's bound to get bumped and the wires will eventually move back into a position in which the sound cuts out, so, I need a permanent fix.

The dealer offered to exchange the guitar but frankly, that seems like a hassle when a new tone pot should fix the problem. There are no G&L warranty centers anywhere near me but I have a tech who will replace the pot for probably $15 or $20 as long as I provide him with the pot.

Who can I contact at G&L to see if they will just send me a new pot so I don't have to exchange the whole guitar, causing me to go through the hassle of boxing it up and shipping it back, and causing the dealer to have to eat three shipping costs then dealing with a returned guitar with a problem?

Second thing may just be my imagination. I was lowering the action when I noticed that the saddle for the high E string looks like it's a tiny bit taller than the other saddles, which makes it so that even when it's as low as it can go, the high E is still a tad high for my liking.

Is it my imagination or is the high E saddle taller than the others? The slots on the saddles all seem to be the same width so if I'm not imagining it and the high E saddle really is taller than the others, would there be any problem just swapping the high E saddle with one from another string that doesn't need to be as low?

Re: New G&L Asat Tribute Deluxe Carved Top -- problems....

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:15 am

don't know about the saddle but you can get yourself some good pots

http://www.wdmusic.com/cts_pots.html

Now, I'm a lefty but I replace all the pots in my guitars.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:23 am

the pots are probably the worse thing on a Tribute , I would upgrade the pots and output jack and be done with it ...... not sure on the saddles ??..... measure with some calipers if you have them to be sure

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:34 pm

guitarman3001 wrote:Second thing may just be my imagination. I was lowering the action when I noticed that the saddle for the high E string looks like it's a tiny bit taller than the other saddles, which makes it so that even when it's as low as it can go, the high E is still a tad high for my liking.

Is it my imagination or is the high E saddle taller than the others? The slots on the saddles all seem to be the same width so if I'm not imagining it and the high E saddle really is taller than the others, would there be any problem just swapping the high E saddle with one from another string that doesn't need to be as low?

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Saddlelock bridge design, but there is a small set screw on the treble side that presses against the treble E saddle and compresses the saddles together (hence the name "Saddlelock"). When the set screw is tight, it's possible to back out any of the saddles' height adjustment screws without the action getting any lower.

The first thing I would do to check this is to very gently turn the E saddle's screws clockwise to be sure that they are in contact with the bridge plate. Don't take it past the first hint of resistance, or you will strip the hex key slot. Once you are sure the screws are making contact with the bridge plate, back out the set screw until it turns freely. Then you can lower the saddle the normal way. Once it's to your liking, tighten the set screw until it's just snug.

Ken

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Are you worried about voiding your warranty by having the tech replace the pot for you?

This says to contact the dealer where you bought it from.
See:

http://www.glguitars.com/support/index2.asp

" Repairs and tech support

If you bought your G&L new (with warranty), please contact your dealer first. Your dealer may be able to resolve the problem quickly.

If your new G&L USA instrument is missing the warranty registration card, you may download it.
If your new G&L Tribute Series instrument is missing the warranty registration card, you may download it.
For warranty repairs in USA and Canada please contact the dealer where you purchased your G&L.
For non-warranty repairs in USA and Canada please contact Chris Robosan at (714)897-6766 extension 156 or send an email to him arrange for the return your instrument to G&L for repairs.
For all repairs outside the USA and Canada please contact your national distributor.
"

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:08 pm

KenC wrote:
guitarman3001 wrote:Second thing may just be my imagination. I was lowering the action when I noticed that the saddle for the high E string looks like it's a tiny bit taller than the other saddles, which makes it so that even when it's as low as it can go, the high E is still a tad high for my liking.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Saddlelock bridge design, but there is a small set screw on the treble side that presses against the treble E saddle and compresses the saddles together (hence the name "Saddlelock"). When the set screw is tight, it's possible to back out any of the saddles' height adjustment screws without the action getting any lower.

The first thing I would do to check this is to very gently turn the E saddle's screws clockwise to be sure that they are in contact with the bridge plate. Don't take it past the first hint of resistance, or you will strip the hex key slot. Once you are sure the screws are making contact with the bridge plate, back out the set screw until it turns freely. Then you can lower the saddle the normal way. Once it's to your liking, tighten the set screw until it's just snug.

Ken

Yep, I'm aware of that. With the high E saddle next to the B saddle, the high E is already as low as it can go. The bottom of the saddle is resting on the bridge. But the B saddle doesn't look as tall. If I were to lower the B saddle until it touches the bridge, the top of it would be lower than the top of the E saddle.
Last edited by guitarman3001 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:13 pm

yz250f49 wrote:Are you worried about voiding your warranty by having the tech replace the pot for you?

See:

If you bought your G&L new (with warranty), please contact your dealer first. Your dealer may be able to resolve the problem quickly.

If your new G&L USA instrument is missing the warranty registration card, you may download it.
If your new G&L Tribute Series instrument is missing the warranty registration card, you may download it.
For warranty repairs in USA and Canada please contact the dealer where you purchased your G&L.
For non-warranty repairs in USA and Canada please contact Chris Robosan at (714)897-6766 extension 156 or send an email to him arrange for the return your instrument to G&L for repairs.
For all repairs outside the USA and Canada please contact your national distributor.
"

Yeah, I saw that. I did call the dealer and the only thing they could do was offer to exchange the guitar. It seems silly to me to go through the hassle of returning and exchanging an entire guitar over a bad pot. Worst case scenario I order a new pot on my own dime for $10 and have my tech replace it. But for the sake of keeping things stock and for the sake of not voiding the warranty, I'd rather work with G&L and hopefully they can send me a replacement pot. Is G&L that strict about warranty that having my own tech solder in a replacement pot would void the warranty?

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:11 pm

guitarman3001 wrote:
yz250f49 wrote:Are you worried about voiding your warranty by having the tech replace the pot for you?

See:

"

Yeah, I saw that. I did call the dealer and the only thing they could do was offer to exchange the guitar. It seems silly to me to go through the hassle of returning and exchanging an entire guitar over a bad pot. Worst case scenario I order a new pot on my own dime for $10 and have my tech replace it. But for the sake of keeping things stock and for the sake of not voiding the warranty, I'd rather work with G&L and hopefully they can send me a replacement pot. Is G&L that strict about warranty that having my own tech solder in a replacement pot would void the warranty?

Since you've noted more than one issue, I would take the offer for an exchange. I'd also ask that this dealer make sure that the exchange is in fully working order including
the saddles. Do note that the saddle heights are graduated to match the fretboard radius, which is part the standard setup.

No, G&L is not that strict, but with the Tribute Series they usually replace the guitar (which will get sent back to the Indonesia factory for replacement).
You might ask the dealer if they can get you a replacement pot (which will be the same mighty-mite pot used for the Tribute Series) and a new saddle
and if they have a tech department to do the replacement otherwise use your own tech. Just maintain all records of the work done.

:ugeek:

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Craig wrote:
guitarman3001 wrote:

See:

"

Since you've noted more than one issue, I would take the offer for an exchange. I'd also ask that this dealer make sure that the exchange is in fully working order including
the saddles. Do note that the saddle heights are graduated to match the fretboard radius, which is part the standard setup.

No, G&L is not that strict, but with the Tribute Series they usually replace the guitar (which will get sent back to the Indonesia factory for replacement).
You might ask the dealer if they can get you a replacement pot (which will be the same mighty-mite pot used for the Tribute Series) and a new saddle
and if they have a tech department to do the replacement otherwise use your own tech. Just maintain all records of the work done.

The dealer is an online retailer so I wouldn't be able to take it to them to replace the pot. If I go through them I'd end up exchanging the entire guitar. I was just trying to find a way to avoid that if at all possible. It would save me the hassle of boxing it up and taking it to UPS or Fedex and would save the dealer the hassle of having to pay 3 shipping costs and then dealing with the returned guitar. But if you think that's the best option, I guess I'll do that.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:43 pm

guitarman3001 wrote:
Craig wrote:
guitarman3001 wrote:

See:

"

The dealer is an online retailer so I wouldn't be able to take it to them to replace the pot. If I go through them I'd end up exchanging the entire guitar. I was just trying to find a way to avoid that if at all possible. It would save me the hassle of boxing it up and taking it to UPS or Fedex and would save the dealer the hassle of having to pay 3 shipping costs and then dealing with the returned guitar. But if you think that's the best option, I guess I'll do that.

The Warranty is there for you if needed. In this case, I recommend using it. G&L is the one footing the shipping costs not the dealer.

Just my opinion (I don't work for G&L) but it's entirely your choice.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:33 am

Ok, I went ahead with the exchange. I hate to exchange a guitar over a bad pot and some crappy soldering but I guess I shouldn't have to deal with rewiring a brand new guitar.

Hopefully the new one is problem free.

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Good luck with the exchange.