ASAT Carved top 'tribute'

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Did some customization on my ASAT. Sounds miles better than stock, now. At least IMO.

Re: ASAT Carved top 'tribute'

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:11 pm

And what exactly did you do?

Re: ASAT Carved top 'tribute'

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:02 am

Swapped the pickups to Wilde L-90's 4henry in the neck. 8 Henry in the bridge.
I got rid of the push-pull coil split (I can't stand push-pull pots) and replaced with a more ergonomic mini toggle, coil split. Swapped the pot to a 1Meg which I modded into a 'no load' pot. Tone cap swapped to a 10nF poly. Got a rosewood knob on the new pot, since the shaft size was a bit different than stock, and couldn't use the stock knob.(new one is from the parts bin) I kind of like it, as it goes with the mismatched bridge pickup ring. Which I had to use, since the plastic one Wilde supplied for the bridge was a bit too tall (looks like it's set up more for a LP)

Cleaned up the neck pocket slightly, and made sure the neck sat in there tight.

That's about it, besides 11 gauge GHS boomers, and a good setup. I'll probably get some locking tuners on it eventually. I'm not sure if there are any that will drop in to the tribute tuner holes, with no modifications, though. Stock tuners are fine, but I wouldn't mind something with a finer tuning ratio and string locks, to speed up string changes.
I may eventually swap the coil split to a series/parallel switch and then use a 'no load' blend pot in order to blend in one of the coils. Allowing me to completely cut one coil, or blend it in, (I'm hoping it works for both series/parallel for maximum versatilty)

..but right now I'm pretty happy with the sounds I'm getting, so it's staying, as is, for a bit.