Found a used G&L L2500 Tribute... for...

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:09 pm

$405 tax and all... and it has a hard case with it.

G&L L2500 - 5-string in clear natural (might have had a slight sunburst to the nat...)

I'm thinking this a good deal. I see 3 on eBay right now, $499.99, $518.99, and $649.99.

So I am thinking 4 bills out the door is good... any comments? I don't think I can go wrong.

Plus whoever owned it babied it and it is in immaculate shape. Maybe one small almost un-noticeable ding.

Re: Found a used G&L L2500 Tribute... for...

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Plus... none of them on eBay have a hard case, all have just a gig bag, and two of them are asking for an additional 50 bucks for shipping...

For $405 cash money (that includes tax), I walk away with a pretty cool Tribute bass...

(correctly marked "Tribute Series" on the front, and "INDONESIA" on the back in case anyone saw my post where I had bought (and the returned and got my money back) on a forgery/Counterfeit Tribute Legacy...) LOL... they were trying to pawn it off as a USA model until folks here helped me figure it out...

You get to looking... you get to wanting...

You get to wanting... you get to opening the wallet and pulling out the debit card... hahaha

Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Being a Leo-era fanatic I've never seriously priced out Tributes. I have played a Tribby L-2000 though, and was very impressed. FWIW, that's coming from a perspective of having a mahogany '82 as a go-to bass. The fit, finish and tone on that used Tribby were excellent.

As far as pricing goes, just consider the fact that even a basic hardshell case is going to set you back $100. Take that out of the equation, and you're looking at $305 out the door for a bass that is at least on par with a production USA Fender in terms of tone and build quality. I'd go for it without looking back. As long as there are no undisclosed problems with the bass, you shouldn't have a problem breaking even if you end up selling or trading it.

Of course, this will lead to a night when you sit down, L-2500 in hand, and start wondering how a US L-2500 would compare, or an L-2000, or an L-5500, or maybe something with a blue finish...

Ken

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Turns out the case is a little big but it will protect the bass. Nothing that a little foam rubber wouldn't fix on either side of the body. The box inside the case is collapsed, but I think foam would fix that, too. Its a case, doesn't change the tone, LOL.

Only thing I noticed was that the volume pot was a bit scratchy possibly from non-use. The person at th store said it had been up there a while. It had been marked down $100, and they were running a 25%-off on all used instruments that day...

...so I threw it on lay-a-way... I got 90-days to pay it off, and noone else will be buying it out from under me... I played it a bit and it has tons of tone options. Its a five string, so I'll need to get used to that. I'm a 6-string guitar guy, I just wanted a decent bass to have a decent bass.

Now I gotta find a bass amp, lol... they are so gonna love me at the apartment place I am in... hahaha

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Lot's of choices for the Pelican Case (brand) foam... not expensive, either...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pelican ... 2&ie=UTF-8

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:47 am

Nice work! I picked up a Tribute L-2500 a little while ago and couldn't be happier with it. Such a big tonal palette, but it's easy to dial in the sounds you want. I think you'll like the 5-string; when I was looking around at basses a couple of people said "you won't need the fifth string", but it's been a big asset :)

P.S. you probably know this already but just in case - scratchy pots are an easy fix. If it doesn't clean up after a few rotations back and forth, hit it with some contact cleaner and she'll be sweeeeet