P90s on a legacy tribute?

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi there, I'm looking to buy a Tribute Legacy then replace the single coils with P90s. I know the Legacy Tribute has swimming pool routing, but aside from having to adjust the scratch plate, does anyone know of any potential obstacles/problems/reasons to avoid this?

Very grateful for your advice - thanks!

D

Re: P90s on a legacy tribute?

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Back in the 1970s, my friends would replace their Gibby stock pickups with the hotter DiMarzio coils. I ended up acquiring more than a few P90s from SGs. I ended up putting two of them in a strat, but had to notch out the single coil cavities. They sounded terrific and the bridge had a meatier sound. Since the Legacy Tribute has the universal route, you won't be hurting anything by placing some P90s in it. I would stick with two P90s, as three looks a little funky (just my preference). I would go with an AlNiCo 5 P90 for the neck position (brighten it up) and an ALNiCo 2 for the bridge position (tone it down), or alternatively a ceramic based magnet for a modern and grainier tone. You can also swap out the magnets (A5 to A2).

So, yeah, definitely go for it. You might also want to save your original G&L pickguard and use another one for the experiment. Have fun.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:28 am

Thanks for that CSVeteran, - very helpful and encouraging.

I'd be keen to replace the pickguard anyway, tbh, as I'm not a huge fan of the pearloid ones that comes on the blueburst Legacy Tributes.Do you know where I might find a replacement? Would writing to Tony at Pickguardian for a custom job be the best bet?

Thanks again!

D

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:34 am

But do be aware that P-90s don't mount to pick guards! They fix into the wood behind them. And in a Strat-type body, be very careful not to drill / screw right out the back!
The "dog-ear" type mount might be persuaded to work, though not straightforward to do.

Your other route is to go with hum bucker-shaped P-90s, such as the Bare Knuckle, Lollar , or Lindy Fralin units.
This could actually give you the most freedom of choice, as well as the easiest mounting / swapping.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:40 am

Ah, I hadn't realised that - thanks! Humbucker-sized sounds lie the way to go... Just need to sort out the pick guard.
Cheers,
D

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:14 am

Check Chandler at www.pickguardheaven.com. They sell direct replacements for USA G&Ls. You may need to send your Tribby pickguard to them to ensure the new one comes out right, though.

Ken

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:03 pm

D - There are two screws you will need to mount each P90. I usually use a piece of sponge underneath the base plate, so I can make slight incremental adjustments to the height of the P90. Those P90s are going to sound really sweet in your blueburst, since it is a swamp ash body and all maple neck. You may want to go with an AlNiCo 2 to compensate for the brighter tonal characteristics of ash and maple. That would be my choice.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:26 pm

I know virtually nothing about guitars, but I saw on Seymour Duncan's IG feed today that they offer a pickup that sounds like a P90 but fits into a a strat pickguard - maybe that could work for you?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks MHoepfl - I guess the ones you mean are the SD Phat Cats. I keep hearing good things about them, and they'd certainly be easier to fit!

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Seymour Duncan also advertises their (single-coil sized) SSL4 Quarter Pound as "similar to a P-90".
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/high-output/quarter_pound_f/