Tribute Asat Classic h/w upgrade

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi, I'm looking for advice as to upgrading the pots and switch on my ASAT Classic Tribute. I just bought a used 2004 US Classic and the switch and pots are just soooo much better! I want the Tribute as my back-up and would like to upgrade these. Any suggestions on most comparable kit? I can't really make out manufacturers details from my US model.
Thanks

john

Re: Tribute Asat Classic h/w upgrade

Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:23 pm

oneeyedog wrote:Hi, I'm looking for advice as to upgrading the pots and switch on my ASAT Classic Tribute. I just bought a used 2004 US Classic and the switch and pots are just soooo much better! I want the Tribute as my back-up and would like to upgrade these. Any suggestions on most comparable kit? I can't really make out manufacturers details from my US model.
Thanks

john

The Tribute ASAT Classic pots should each be 250k and the volume cap should be 200pf and the tone cap should be .047mf.
The US ASAT Classic are also 250k with the same cap values. You can get the pots and pickup selector switch from G&L's On-Line Store.

We also have wiring diagrams in the Gallery, see: Album: ASAT Classic/Tribute ASAT Classic Picture Diagram.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi Craig, am I correct in saying they are NOT the same make? The USA guitars feels so muck better made, smoother and a sturdier switch... or is it just my imagination?

john

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:07 pm

oneeyedog wrote:Hi Craig, am I correct in saying they are NOT the same make? The USA guitars feels so muck better made, smoother and a sturdier switch... or is it just my imagination?

john

The pots and switches are not from the same source as the ones used in the USA model. See the on-line store and you will see the difference.

:ugeek:

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:11 pm

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:15 pm

The pots on the Tributes are Asian made mini pots whereas the US made pots are full size CTS or similar.
I put some Alpha mini pots in my Tribute ASAT and have been very happy with them compared with the originals. I tried some CTS pots but they wouldn't fit through the holes on the metal control plate! Too big!

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:44 pm

thanks for the info Philby

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:31 pm

I bought the pots from from the G&L online store and I was happy with them. They were different than the original pots but mine was a Korean build and they became noisy. Phil may have the best suggestion. -- Darwin

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:12 am

Hi, i ordered the alpha pots today.. ordering from the USA is a pain now, we get billed for import taxes on everything... we never used to :(
cheers

john