S500 Tribute Body Wood?

Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi,

I just purchased a NOS S500 Tribute and can't find info about whether the body wood is swamp ash or basswood.
THe serial # is 1011xxxxx which means it's made in 2010. It's a 3 tone sunburst with rosewood fretboard. Any ideas what the body wood is?

Thanks!

Re: S500 Tribute Body Wood?

Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:20 pm

DD_Gliss wrote:Hi,

I just purchased a NOS S500 Tribute and can't find info about whether the body wood is swamp ash or basswood.
THe serial # is 1011xxxxx which means it's made in 2010. It's a 3 tone sunburst with rosewood fretboard. Any ideas what the body wood is?

Thanks!

Yes, the build year is 2010 and the build month is November.
Body wood should be Swamp Ash. Please post a photo and we can confirm it.
To post photos see the Tutorial on posting photos in the Announcement Section.

:ugeek:

Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks Craig for the quick reply. My first G&L and probably won't be my last. Great pups!

Here are the photos.
[image]http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/ddseventyfour/IMAG1045_zps33fa8687.jpg[/image]
[image]http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/ddseventyfour/s500_zps43a5fa71.jpg[/image]

Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:17 am

DD_Gliss wrote:Hi,

Thanks!

welcome to the forum, DD Gliss! The wood is swamp ash on the transparent finishes, basswood under the solid finishes on the recent tributes.
enjoy the pickups, dull fulcrum bridge/tailpiece and individual "PTB" tone controls which really set these S style guitars apart from strats.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:20 am

Appreciate the comment John. I'm planning on getting the asat special next--it really sucks to have GAS. How do u like the jumbo mfd on your special? How does it compare to the lollar or gibson p90?

Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:18 pm

I've got the exact same Tribute S-500 and can confirm the swamp ash body wood (heavy as it is).

And all I can say, beware of the ASAT special, notably the Tribute (the one with a mahogany body) is a real sleeper guitar.
Check out this video:
phpBB [video]
Last edited by Craig on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Put video inline

Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:21 pm

i can't see the video...if it's the one by Nick then i have seen it as well as the other ones on youtube. i heard the jumbo mfd is very similar to the z-coil but the z is less noisy (humbucker). can someone confirm if true? If so, i might just consider the asat z-3 or comanche rather than the special.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:59 pm

big MFD's aren't stratty like the z-coils to my ears ...... everyone should have it least one big MFD guitar if not two

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:41 am

DD_Gliss wrote:Appreciate the comment John. I'm planning on getting the asat special next--it really sucks to have GAS. How do u like the jumbo mfd on your special? How does it compare to the lollar or gibson p90?

the p90's on my SG are more mid-rangy, less transparent, especially the lollar which is overwound. I have to use bright switch, boost treble and presence with that guitar.
the big coil mfd's on the asat special have lovely tonal range, highs are preserved, lows are not muddy, but they definitely have more bottom end than my tele's pickups.
i just got the asat, so i have only played it with the band twice and am still gaining experience. It sounds beautiful on solos on all three pickup settings. I have to dime the tone control, unlike the legacy, where i use 3-7 range on the ptb tone controls depending on pup selection and song. I love the way the bridge pickup overdrives the amp on dirty settings and maintains string seperation. i don't have a guitar with z coils or smaller mfd's like the s-500, so can't comment on those. so far i am quite pleased with the sounds coming out of the asat special. i must say, the build quality of the tribute asat is excellent.