ASAT Tribute BB Semi neck pickup (phew!)

Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:47 pm

First post, bear with me. Owner of the above, have to say that build quality, fit and finish are excellent. However, just haven't been able to get a decent clear tone out of the neck 'bucker (G&L AS4255C). Adjusted it up and down and fiddled with the pole piece height but it just stays muddy. Anybody else find this? I have just replaced the 'bucker with a GFS Mean 90 (P90 in a 'bucker form) and it has brought the guitar alive and balances well with the bridge MFD. I also have a Kent Armstron 'Kentron' ('tron style 'bucker) on order and might try that. Any thoughts from the good folks who know a whole lot more about G&Ls than me?

Cheers.

Re: ASAT Tribute BB Semi neck pickup (phew!)

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:52 am

Personally I like a bright, snappy neck pickup. You can always darken up a bright PU with your tone pot, but you can never really brighten up a muddy humbucker.

The P90 conversion you describe sounds best to me. Humbuckers are just too dark for my tastes.

My 2¢
Will

Re: ASAT Tribute BB Semi neck pickup (phew!)

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Cheers Will, I got the 'tron esque 'bucker and fitted it but it didn't have anywhere enough fidelity. Lasted about five minutes and came out to be replaced by the Mean 90 again. Definitely a winner for fat yet sparkly tones.