Tribute ASAT special issues

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi fellow enthusiasts!

I have had a bit of an unusual experience with a new asat special tribute:

I went in to a shop and tried it, and was so struck by the amazing tone that I bought it on an impulse, even though the one in the shop was the only one they had! Later, to make a long story short, I found some issues. First and second tuning pegs are wonky, the string tightens only after the peg has been turned half a rotation. The shop also worked a bit on the frets, since they were not seated properly, and did a fret dress which I found a bit aggressive; the 1st string slides a bit too easily off the fretboard.

There might also be a problem with the neck angle, and a bit of a bad jack.

My question is: Apart from the tuners, are these issues something that the tribute warranty should cover, or are they closer to what you should expect for it being a tribute and not a MIA? My tribute l2k bass is astonishing, and leagues ahead regarding both fretwork and neck finish...

Re: Tribute ASAT special issues

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:21 pm

The jack, neck issue, tuners, fret sprout, etc. should all be covered under warranty. I had a volume control issue with my Tribby ASAT Carved Top and they covered it under warranty (even replaced it with a CTS pot- better than factory) at no additional cost to me. I have a full set up and fret crown and polish on my own time for super low slinky action. I hope your G&L dealer has good customer service. They will get reimbursed from the factory on those items.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:47 am

Thank you for the response. I'm blown away by the sound of this guitar, and hopefully I'll just get a replacement seeing how many things are wrong with this one. Still... Wow. I can't believe the tone and sustain, this will easily become my favorite guitar once everything is in ship shape.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:23 am

It comes down to excellent USA wound pups, good tone wood, and a great neck/neck pocket design. Enjoy your ASAT Special, drop a pic of it when you can Adytum!