I have a problem with my ASAT special tribute

Thu May 08, 2014 2:49 am

Hello to all members. I have a problem with my ASAT special tribute. The first string does not pass over the rear pickup pole piece, any suggestions? Also where do I register my G&L guitars?

Re: I have a problem with my ASAT special tribute

Thu May 08, 2014 6:23 am

gargunza wrote:Hello to all members. I have a problem with my ASAT special tribute. The first string does not pass over the rear pickup pole piece, any suggestions? Also where do I register my G&L guitars?

I moved your post to a new topic in this sub-forum.

Welcome! :greet:

Please see this post in the Announcement section as it will help you navigate our site and provides some tutorials for posting photos, video and audio files: Welcome! Read This First.

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum: String alignment issues and a simple cure.
If this does not resolve your alignment problem, please post some photos showing this issue.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu May 08, 2014 3:58 pm

If it's any consolation, my Special is exactly as you describe. The poles on the neck pickup align perfectly with the strings, but the higher strings on the bridge (rear) pickup get progressively offset until the high E string misses the pole piece entirely.

I haven't noticed any loss in output from the E string though, relative to the others. The magnetic field likely extends well beyond the boundary of the pole piece.

What DOES bother me slightly is that the bridge pickup is much lower in output than the neck. Even with the bridge pup fully raised, and the neck fully lowered, the neck pup is noticeably louder and dominates the middle position. :roll:

Thu May 08, 2014 4:38 pm

I would like to see straight above pictures of both these guitars. Philby, mine are lined up perfectly and it looks like your saddle lock locking screw isn't set. It would push the saddles to the left of the bridge and the strings would have better alignment. It looks in your photo as though the saddle is against the right edge of the bridge. Could be my eyes. -- Darwin

Thu May 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Darwin. I took the photo with my phone and the wide angle lens exaggerates the misalignment, but not by much. I'll see if I can take a better picture tonight.

I'll also check the saddle-lock screw. I hope it hasn't come loose and fallen out. :o

Oh, and nice Special semi-hollow! The older my back gets the more I see a S/H in my future. They're rarer than an honest politician in Australia though.

Thu May 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Philby wrote:What DOES bother me slightly is that the bridge pickup is much lower in output than the neck. Even with the bridge pup fully raised, and the neck fully lowered, the neck pup is noticeably louder and dominates the middle position. :roll:

What are the DC-R readings of each pickup? Perhaps the neck pickup is overwound compared to the bridge pickup.

Did you try the neck re-seat procedure I mentioned to gargunza?

Just a thought.

:ugeek:

Fri May 09, 2014 6:11 am

Hello again, Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I'll post pics when I get the hang of it! My strings are perfectly aligned all the way to the bridge. It looks as though the back pickup has been badly installed. Does this happen? Poor QC?

Fri May 09, 2014 6:15 am

The bridge pickup on mine has definitely been installed incorrectly. Similar to Philby's ASAT.

Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 am

No luck posting pics yet! Or changing profile pic! I'll persevere.

Fri May 09, 2014 7:31 am

http://www.guitar-planet.co.uk/gl-asat-special-deluxe/ I just saw one on "Guitar Planet" with the same alignment as mine. Identical guitar to mine as well. It must be how they're supposed to be!

Fri May 09, 2014 8:25 am

It's not a big deal. Really, Don't sweat it. Half my guitars have slightly-off spacings like that.

Will